FreeBSD's Pkg 1.5.0 Released, Brings Initial Ports To OS X & NetBSD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeBSD's Pkg 1.5.0 Released, Brings Initial Ports To OS X & NetBSD

Phoronix: FreeBSD's Pkg 1.5.0 Released, Brings Initial Ports To OS X & NetBSD

The FreeBSD pkg tool for binary package management has been upgraded to pkg v1.5.0. The pkg 1.5 release brings with it a number of exciting imporvements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well, nice to see pkg advancing, that said while I see the point of NetBSD support, and I suppose I can see pkg on OS X as an alternative to MacPorts, pkg on Linux seems kind of pointless to me.

Comment

Provides and requires? That's really clever.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
        Well, nice to see pkg advancing, that said while I see the point of NetBSD support, and I suppose I can see pkg on OS X as an alternative to MacPorts, pkg on Linux seems kind of pointless to me.
        Hopefully, whoever does the port enjoys the work.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
          Provides and requires? That's really clever.
          APT has had this forever...

Comment

Originally posted by dnebdal View Post
            Hopefully, whoever does the port enjoys the work.
            i would hope so too, it's just that the lines in the sand are drawn a bit too deep for some outsider package manager to really make any headway. It could be the best packagemanger and package format ever written and we'd still be using rpms and debs

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              APT has had this forever...
              Well it's a package level thing, not package manager, and both RPM and DEB have had this for forever, you have to remember that FreeBSD is effectively completely redoing their package management infrastructure from the ground up. So they're having to redo their package description format and otherwise.

Comment

Working...
              X