Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Chrome 42 Brings The Push API & Extras

Phoronix: Google Chrome 42 Brings The Push API & Extras

Google today announced the Chrome/Chromium 42 web-browser reaching the stable channel and with it comes many improvements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The UI of Chromium looks very good on Windows and on Chrome OS.
    But under Linux it looks terrible.

Ever since they switched from Qt to their own Aura toolkit I think.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      In particular, C hrome 42
      should be ... Chrome 42...

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

If my memory serves me well the Auro toolkit actually tries to use the native toolkit of your desktop environment. So an terrible looking chromium probably means you're on an ugly desktop to start with? are you by any chance an KDE user? ^^

Comment

Originally posted by tmpdir View Post
          If my memory serves me well the Auro toolkit actually tries to use the native toolkit of your desktop environment. So an terrible looking chromium probably means you're on an ugly desktop to start with? are you by any chance an KDE user? ^^
          The default theme looks the same no matter which DE is used. It's ugly and doesn't integrate at all.

Comment

You're thinking of VCL and XUL. Aura is Google's ground up NIH hardware accelerated GUI toolkit. Although I want to point out here that VCL and XUL need to die in a fire, and be replaced with something that either handles themes properly, or just use GTK or Qt...
            Last edited by Luke_Wolf; 15 April 2015, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

They never used Qt, it was Gtk based before Aura. Though Aura looks ugly, most of what you see on a browser is the Web page content so the UI toolkit matters little.

Comment

Ah, yes it looks better when using the default Ubuntu theme.
                When using a custom theme it looks rather bad though and doesn't feel like it blend in smooth.

When I click the "hamburger" button in Chromium the menu entries are much bigger than in other applications and have larger text and more margin/padding. It just doesn't feel native.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                  You're thinking of VCL and XUL. Aura is Google's ground up NIH hardware accelerated GUI toolkit. Although I want to point out here that VCL and XUL need to die in a fire, and be replaced with something that either handles themes properly, or just use GTK or Qt...
                  Though VCL and XUL are abominations. It's understandable why OpenOffice and Mozilla chose to use them because of the cross-platform nature of Open/LibreOfice and Firefox. On Linux they use Gtk as the backend anyway. But nowadays people should just use Qt if they want to do cross-platform.

Comment

Working...
                  X