Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Lenovo T450s Is Working Beautifully With Linux

Phoronix: The Lenovo T450s Is Working Beautifully With Linux

A couple weeks ago I bought the Lenovo T450s, this is my first laptop-upgrade in about three years and I have to say... I am so glad that I did upgrade. Over the last two weeks I've been using the T450s as my daily-driver and its been working almost perfectly under Fedora Linux.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

BIOS update and M2 SSD: careful!

Pro Tip:

If you have a M2 SSD in the laptop and you use it under Linux, then be _very_ _very_ careful when doing a BIOS update: the update will change/reset the setting for how the M2 SSD is used.
    A reboot after the update will wipe the M2 SSD!
    So immediately go into the BIOS settings on the first reboot after the update and fix the setting.

(this happened on several occasions for me on my T440s)

Comment

Originally posted by fhuberts View Post
      Pro Tip:

If you have a M2 SSD in the laptop and you use it under Linux, then be _very_ _very_ careful when doing a BIOS update: the update will change/reset the setting for how the M2 SSD is used.
      A reboot after the update will wipe the M2 SSD!
      So immediately go into the BIOS settings on the first reboot after the update and fix the setting.

(this happened on several occasions for me on my T440s)
      Thanks for the heads up fhuberts! I'm currently not using the 16gb m.2 SSD for anything, I was thinking of playing around with turning it into a cache-drive though.
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Sorry but what is written in the bad and ugly sections of the article contradicts the article title.

Of course Lenovo doesn't give a fuck about linux and things not working are to be expected but that doesn't make it a beautiful experience.

BTW michael could you do a power consumption test on browsers?

Comment

The only benchmark that absolutely blew me away in the difference was compiling the linux kernel. I don't know if this was simply because of the difference in RAM (8gbs instead of 4) or because Broadwell is just that good for tasks like code compilation, but compiling the Linux kernel was consistently multiple times faster on my new system vs my old.
          Or something goes wrong during that benchmark , 30 sec for i5-5200U sounds impossibile as i7-5600U does it for 280 seconds

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
            Sorry but what is written in the bad and ugly sections of the article contradicts the article title.

Of course Lenovo doesn't give a fuck about linux and things not working are to be expected but that doesn't make it a beautiful experience.

BTW michael could you do a power consumption test on browsers?
            The system IS working beautifully. The power applet is a KDE-specific bug, the screenshot utility is a KDE-specific bug (gnome-screenshot works fine), the webcam driver probably just needs to be updated since the t440s works fine, and I'm not docking Linux for the touchpad / trackpoint issues since PROPER support for them isn't until 4.0 and I am running 3.19. Even the power consumption, while not AS GOOD as windows is still more than enough for me using the system.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
              Or something goes wrong during that benchmark , 30 sec for i5-5200U sounds impossibile as i7-5600U does it for 280 seconds

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-Test-Yourself
              My php is shit, so if someone who IS familiar with php wants to look over the linux-kernel-compile test and look for a possible bug, or if Michael feels like doing it, then that's up to them. All I know is that I ran the linux kernel compile test suite twice and both times it came out to be ~30secs

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-Test-Yourself
                Just reran it

Test Results:

Average: 27.67 Seconds

Not saying you're wrong, dungeon, cause that is rather odd, but if the test is broken then its consistently broken. That wasn't a just 'one time' fluke.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                  The system IS working beautifully. The power applet is a KDE-specific bug, the screenshot utility is a KDE-specific bug (gnome-screenshot works fine), the webcam driver probably just needs to be updated since the t440s works fine, and I'm not docking Linux for the touchpad / trackpoint issues since PROPER support for them isn't until 4.0 and I am running 3.19. Even the power consumption, while not AS GOOD as windows is still more than enough for me using the system.
                  My point is that integration and proper QA is what makes an experience beautiful. And linux doesn't have that. Specially when you install your own OS. And if you want a good laptop this is what you have to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                    My php is shit, so if someone who IS familiar with php wants to look over the linux-kernel-compile test and look for a possible bug, or if Michael feels like doing it, then that's up to them. All I know is that I ran the linux kernel compile test suite twice and both times it came out to be ~30secs
                    Test profiles aren't even PHP. Here's what build-linux-kernel does: http://openbenchmarking.org/innhold/...12fe2931f0645f
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X