Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrome 43 Beta Brings Web MIDI & Permissions API

Phoronix: Chrome 43 Beta Brings Web MIDI & Permissions API

Chrome 42 was just released as stable so out now by Google is the Chrome 43 Beta...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good old MIDI, it is so old that you cannot even download MIDI specification, it is only possible to order printed version. How to order it? Of course you cannot order it online, you will need to send a letter, real letter, not e-mail ("fortunately", though, you can send it via fax if you will find any nowadays). Full specification can cost as much as $300 (it is cheaper if you are from US).

Comment

Midi connectivity in a browser, on a nerdy note I find it awesome! ...but then again it kind of makes me neaseous... why?? I'm getting old.

Originally posted by Szzz View Post
      Good old MIDI, it is so old that you cannot even download MIDI specification, it is only possible to order printed version. How to order it? Of course you cannot order it online, you will need to send a letter, real letter, not e-mail ("fortunately", though, you can send it via fax if you will find any nowadays). Full specification can cost as much as $300 (it is cheaper if you are from US).
      http://www.midi.org/store/docsales.php
      They do promise to make the latest available for download in the "near future", written a year ago

Comment

This is so stupid. Why the hell would I want MIDI connectivity in a web browser? WTF. I think the most useless feature award goes to Chrome.

Comment

Originally posted by FuturePilot View Post
          This is so stupid. Why the hell would I want MIDI connectivity in a web browser? WTF. I think the most useless feature award goes to Chrome.
          The post itself says. So you can write in-browser synthesizers and DJ decks (It's Google... so I'm sure it's for ChromeOS) that interoperate with external MIDI hardware.

(Personally, I'm happy because it'll mean that things like the in-browser DOSBox ports will have a way to gain support for General MIDI without bogging down the browser by Emscripten-compiling FluidSynth.)

Comment

Originally posted by FuturePilot View Post
            I can give you one obvious example: Midi music in WebGL/WebCL based games.

Comment

Whee, more attack surface.

Comment

The reason is presumably to allow Chrome's HTML5 apps and websites to access MIDI instruments.

This also means that your Chromebook will now work with those roll-up USB pianos.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
                  The post itself says. So you can write in-browser synthesizers and DJ decks (It's Google... so I'm sure it's for ChromeOS) that interoperate with external MIDI hardware.
                  Why would I want any of that in a web browser? It's a web browser not a music studio.

Comment

Applications have been moving into the browser for quite some time.

Word processing (Google Docs, Microsoft Office Online, ...)
                    Software development (Cloud9, Nitrous, Codenvy, ...)
                    Photo and video editors (Pixlr, ...)
                    Training and education software
                    Communication and instant messaging
                    etc.

So why not music creation?

Comment

Working...
                    X