Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sub-$20 802.11n USB WiFi Adapter That's Linux Friendly

Phoronix: Sub-$20 802.11n USB WiFi Adapter That's Linux Friendly

As a quick Friday note, if you're looking for a 802.11n/g USB WiFi adapter that's very affordable and will work great with Linux, here's one of my recent purchases. After being pleased with one of them, I've since ordered a few more of these Wireless-N adapters for Linux usage.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does it work without proprietary firmware? That is, can it work with Linux-libre and Debian kernels?

Comment

given that Ralink are now owned by Mediatek, I wouldn't expect decent drivers for linux to be a deliberate choice by Mediatek!!

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
        Does it work without proprietary firmware? That is, can it work with Linux-libre and Debian kernels?
        I'm going to go out on a limb and say no. The RT5370 chip (this device has the RT5372) requires proprietary firmware, so it's a semi-educated guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
          According to this wikipedia page - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar...reless_drivers
          (searching for RT53) I don't think so.

@Michael, Happy to see you're using the amazon referral links there . If I pick one up I'll make sure to do it from the link.

Comment

Welp, it's $60 CAD for me, so I'll sit this one out.

Comment

The 5dBi antenna led to a great range and better than some of the other WiFi USB adapters I've used that have the antenna built into the housing.
              That's the part that I found most intriguing. I wonder if a raspberry pi can power it.

Comment

Originally posted by gQuigs View Post
                According to this wikipedia page - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar...reless_drivers
                (searching for RT53) I don't think so.

@Michael, Happy to see you're using the amazon referral links there . If I pick one up I'll make sure to do it from the link.
                Debian's stupid decision is the reason I perform a weekly clone of the linux firmware git repository to a thumbdrive that I keep with me at all times.

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
                  Welp, it's $60 CAD for me, so I'll sit this one out.
                  I went through the exercise to find a local (canada) Linux USB Network adaptor recently.
                  I went to the local FS/BB and picked up a hand full of adaptors for an embedded project.
                  In the end I settled on a DLink DWA-130 for $30, I had to make one kernel change that is already up-streamed, so it should be in the latest kernel.
                  Very frustrating.
                  To make it worse, some WiFi vendors change the whole inside of the device (switch chip-sets) and give the version a minor bump, so if you do not get exactly the same version as someone else recommend, it will not work.

Comment

If you want Wireless N USB Adapter you can support fsf by getting this one:

Comment

Working...
                    X