Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google's Experimental QUIC Transport Protocol Is Showing Promise

Phoronix: Google's Experimental QUIC Transport Protocol Is Showing Promise

Last year Google announced QUIC (Quick UDP Internet Connections) as a stream multiplexing protocol running on a new flavor of TLS over UDP rather than TCP. Google's been expanding their testing of QUIC internally and the results are showing great results...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good we have been missing a standard protocol for encrypted UDP.

The name sucks though. I hope they change it once finalized. Real standard should have serious names, not shit like SPDY or QUIK, IT shouldn't be as silly as the US congress.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post

The name sucks though. I hope they change it once finalized. Real standard should have serious names, not shit like SPDY or QUIK, IT shouldn't be as silly as the US congress.
      What is a 'serious' name for you? LLEDTP (Low Latency Encrypted Data Transmission Protocol), that takes forever to pronounce?

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post

I agree, it should be sillier. Silliness is in builtin for software engineering

Comment

Either way, sounds very reasonable. Any C lib, google?

This protocol looks very reasonable for lossy and unpredictable wireless links, where TCP tends to suck a lot. In Linux you can tweak some parameters to make it suck less, but it still would be far from perfect. In windows and somesuch it is just worst nightmare you can imagine. Once packetloss and unpredictable delays appear, TCP speed goes to something which reminds about dialup age and its worth of nothing you have gigabit speed if you have 100+ ms ping and 10% packet loss.

The only thing it really lacks .. er, what about some C lib one can hook up to all programs around?

Comment

Working...
          X