Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.18 Release Schedule: 23 September Release

Phoronix: GNOME 3.18 Release Schedule: 23 September Release

GNOME developers are busy working on the 3.17/3.18 series following last month's successful release of GNOME 3.16. As usual, developers are planning to have this next release out in late September...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

GNOME roadmap:
    - remove "pro" features
    - add more games
    - make everything TOUCH
    - break extensions

Comment

Originally posted by magika View Post
      GNOME roadmap:
      - remove "pro" features
      - add more games
      - make everything TOUCH
      - break extensions
      That direction won't change, and after I gave it a try I even find xfce cluttered!
      What's your roadmap: keep trolling or switching to KDE?

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
        That direction won't change, and after I gave it a try I even find xfce cluttered!
        gnome devs are pretentious, they deserve to be trolled
        although they also define constructive criticism as trolling

PS, in xfce, just right click and remove everything that bothers you

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
          I use GNOME (currently, because hidpi) or KDE at home. Only KDE at work because I gotta work
          Well, only Shell+Mutter anyway, because GNOME apps are crippled to the point of being retarded.

Comment

MATE roadmap

GNOME roadmap:
            - remove "pro" features
            - add more games
            - make everything TOUCH
            - break extensions
            Partial GTK3 support in 1.10 (I use it now for more powerful theming support)
            Full Gtk3 support and Wayland support in 1.12 but no requirement to use either one. Future proof: if Gtk3 takes over it can be used, if it gets ruined Gtk2 will still be supported.

You can use any init system from systemd to starting everything by hand from console, MATE will work. You can use pulseaudio or not, as your needs-and hardware-dictate. You can use any window manager, you can switch out file managers, the whole works.

No matter what DE or other software you like or don't like, in the FOSS world you have a choice. This is not like Windows where the whole OS is coupled to one DE and active efforts continue to make replacement as difficult as possible. GNOME will never conspire with computer makers to use signed bootloaders to lock out MATE, KDE, or XFCE.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
              Partial GTK3 support in 1.10 (I use it now for more powerful theming support)
              Full Gtk3 support and Wayland support in 1.12 but no requirement to use either one. Future proof: if Gtk3 takes over it can be used, if it gets ruined Gtk2 will still be supported.

You can use any init system from systemd to starting everything by hand from console, MATE will work. You can use pulseaudio or not, as your needs-and hardware-dictate. You can use any window manager, you can switch out file managers, the whole works.

No matter what DE or other software you like or don't like, in the FOSS world you have a choice. This is not like Windows where the whole OS is coupled to one DE and active efforts continue to make replacement as difficult as possible. GNOME will never conspire with computer makers to use signed bootloaders to lock out MATE, KDE, or XFCE.
              How all of that relates to what I said?

Comment

You listed a roadmap you presumably don't like

How all of that relates to what I said?
                You listed a roadmap you presumably don't like, so I listed that of an alternative that might suit you better as it does me.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
                  You listed a roadmap you presumably don't like, so I listed that of an alternative that might suit you better as it does me.
                  This isn't about what I do like and what don't but about how once good DE turned into shit. And, in aspects, its getting worse with each new version.

Comment

This isn't about what I do like and what don't but about how once good DE turned into shit. And, in aspects, its getting worse with each new version.
                    In other words, it is exactly about what you like or don't.

Comment

Working...
                    X