Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TearFree Option Lands In xf86-video-ati Git

Phoronix: TearFree Option Lands In xf86-video-ati Git

As a quick follow-up to yesterday's article about a new TearFree option for the Radeon X.Org driver as the latest effort to eliminate tearing, that feature is now in Git...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

wayland

Are these changes just for X11, or do they affect Wayland too? Is Wayland tear-free already?

Comment

Originally posted by mmmbop View Post
      Are these changes just for X11, or do they affect Wayland too? Is Wayland tear-free already?

V) Composition is mandatory under Wayland. That isn't to say that everything has to have 3D effects or wobbly windows. By composition we mean that everything is tear-free, flicker-free and flash-free. Wayland's motto is ?Every frame is perfect.? Every pixel is exactly WHAT it should be, WHERE it should be, and be there WHEN its supposed to be there-- as dictated by the clients.
      Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

There's somewhat of a concern still though as to what will happen if you want to bypass compositor for games. Will they then tear horribly again? Hopefully DRI3 helps in this somewhat

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
          There's somewhat of a concern still though as to what will happen if you want to bypass compositor for games. Will they then tear horribly again? Hopefully DRI3 helps in this somewhat
          I would've thought it's the same situation as tearing on Windows, put up with it, apply v-sync or use one of the newer fixes (g-sync/freesync) if available.

Comment

Hello everyone

You won't/shouldn't be unhappy with tear-free, a name a promise

But I can't wait to pass to a working beta Wayland, X.Org is by now almost an hack-fest of additions

Comment

Why do they keep adding features to xf86-video-ati when the "plan" is just to have every in modesetting?
              modesetting has even shown to deliver higher performance than xf86-video-ati.

Comment

The idea of "bypassing the compositor" doesn't even make any sense inside the context of wayland, and unlike under X there would be no point to doing so as the overhead associated with having a compositor has been removed.

Comment

Has anyone developed a tool that an show if a video source IS or IS NOT tear free? I think it is about time to see if Wayland(&Mir?) is tear free as advertised.

Michael! TO THE COMPUTER CAVE! Na na na na na na na na na na na na PHORONIX BENCHMARK!

Comment

Why would you want to stop the compositor for gaming since it has almost no performance impact and removes tearing? (I?m basing myself on my experience with Compton on Intel and Nvidia here.)

Comment

Working...
                    X