X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 15.04 Released, Now Available For Download

Phoronix: Ubuntu 15.04 Released, Now Available For Download

Ubuntu 15.04 is out!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's usual to give an overview of improvements with the announcement of the latest major version of a distribution. Reading between the lines, does the lack of list mean that there aren't really any improvements beyond bumping the version numbers of the various components?

If the biggest change is Upstart -> systemd, well that's pretty underwhelming. I hope they start delivering on mobile so I can see where the effort previously spent on the desktop is going.

Comment

It includes a working HSA kernel driver, that's something
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
        It's usual to give an overview of improvements with the announcement of the latest major version of a distribution. Reading between the lines, does the lack of list mean that there aren't really any improvements beyond bumping the version numbers of the various components?

If the biggest change is Upstart -> systemd, well that's pretty underwhelming. I hope they start delivering on mobile so I can see where the effort previously spent on the desktop is going.
        A bug-fix release. Nice things new things are umake, LXD and SystemD. It seems that the Nvidia bug has been fixed too, but there still remains the screen refresh rate one :/

But does anyone know by what is the update notifier delayed? Looking at my countries Ubuntu mirror, it allready has the 15.04 image. I don't understand why I am still not able to update.

Comment

Great release

I been running the daily builds of Ubuntu 15.04 and imho it is a great release!

The reason why Upstart failed was that Canonical were alienating Upstart from the community by requiring developers to sign a Contributor License Agreement (CLA).
          It was the downfall of Upstart.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            Now I just need the hardware that can run it

Carrizo, where art thou? Daddy wants to replace his 2009 Macbook (C2D + GF9400m)

Comment

Seems like they fixed UEFI installs just in-time

Comment

Doesn't show in 14.04 updater? How to update, will I run into bugs? I'm mostly looking for a udev update that fixes the x-plane/ch sticks problems.
                Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  That is true for any distro with a 3.19 kernel. On my Kaveri laptop with Fedora 21 I got that a month ago. Modprobe'd it, saw the nice dmesg entries and... that's it I guess? What do I do now?

Comment

IIRC you need to build libhsakmt from the v3.19 tag in Oded's repo...

... then install the HSA runtime from github...

Creating New Solutions with Heterogeneous Computing - HSA Foundation

Don't remember if you can use the recent 1.0F release or need to build 1.0P from source, will check and see if we can get some instructions posted.

When I say "working" I mean "we tested it, filed bugs, etc...". Did that for 15.04 and F22. There are some post 3.19 fixes worth picking up -- I think they all got into 15.04 as well. F22 has a 4.0-based kernel IIRC so should have those fixes too.
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X