Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu's Desktop-Next Switching From .DEBs To Snappy

Phoronix: Ubuntu's Desktop-Next Switching From .DEBs To Snappy

Ubuntu 15.04 was just released and Canonical isn't wasting any time with starting to share their plans for Ubuntu 15.10 due out in October. This next release will feature a build that switches away from Debian packages (.deb) to using Snappy Personal...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So how much of it remains rooted to Debian now? I know they don't really inherit much anymore so would this be the last bit

Comment

Honestly... I can't understand why they're doing this. Ubuntu phone? fine sure it makes a decent amount of sense, switching the actual distro over? That's biting off a bit more than I think you can actually chew Canonical, given that historically they've taken most of their packages from Debian, and unlike DEB <-> RPM this doesn't seem like something that'll be easy to just automate.

Comment

Ubuntu != Linux

How to get proprietary benefits while releasing it all under a FOSS license. Step by step switch away from what the rest of the ecosystem is using and hope your users stick around. Once you've diverted enough from where you came, your users are now captive as no other system is quite like what they are using now.

Comment

It's evolution, baby!

I don't get why people are complaining. They are moving away from traditional packages to something docker like, the same way Red Hat is doing with project Atomic. The current package systems are broken, and initiatives like Snapy, Atomic and Nixos are the future.

Comment

Originally posted by tessio View Post
            I don't get why people are complaining. They are moving away from traditional packages to something docker like, the same way Red Hat is doing with project Atomic. The current package systems are broken, and initiatives like Snapy, Atomic and Nixos are the future.
            in what way is .deb broken? The only package management I know that is definetly 'broken' is .rpm. .deb is the only logical choice, there is nothing else. You shall have none beside the mighty DEB!

Comment

Originally posted by tessio View Post
              Canonical really doesn't have the finances or clout IMO to pull this off without drastically reducing the number of packages that they offer.

Comment

Originally posted by Detructor View Post
                You shall have none beside the mighty DEB!
                It is not like they are ruining the only Linux distro out there. Let them test something else, and if it works better than .deb it is great, and if not use another distro you favor.

Comment

Originally posted by Detructor View Post
                  in what way is .deb broken? The only package management I know that is definetly 'broken' is .rpm. .deb is the only logical choice, there is nothing else. You shall have none beside the mighty DEB!
                  Nonsense, greatest and almightiest packages are .ebuilds. Closely followed by arch's PKGBUILD.

Grabbing popcorn now

What I see is that vendors want to bundle runtimes along with their apps. And that distros are complying to that request through stuff like docker. I don't like this approach of bundled binary libs, but it seems to be the way things are going right now.

Comment

Shitty as always

Canonical with their shitty ideas as always

Comment

Working...
                    X