Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD FP3 Motherboard Ported To Coreboot

Phoronix: AMD FP3 Motherboard Ported To Coreboot

Another AMD motherboard has been ported to work under Coreboot...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So can you actually buy this board in the U.S. (or elsewhere)?

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
      So can you actually buy this board in the U.S. (or elsewhere)?
      Even if you can't ... since it is a reference board it is a stepping stone to supporting other boards based on the same design.

I think this is is.. no price listed you have to quote it. http://www.sapphiretech.com/embedded...d=db-fp3&lid=1

Acutally they list the price on the product page as USD 2600.00 LOL clearly not aimed at consumers but engineers.
      Last edited by cb88; 25 April 2015, 01:51 PM.

Comment

ECC RAM AMD support for entry level.

I would like to see some board supported, that can use ECC RAM, even Unbuffered.
        All APU's do NOT support ECC RAM.
        Unlike Intel all AMD CPU except APUs support ECC Unbuffered RAM, but one needs to use Motherboard with extra lines to the memory.
        And yes, today is ECC RAM a needed when you have that much RAM in your motherboard, it is pretty much instane NOT to have ECC RAM (only reason not to is increased prices for Xeons and Opterons...)
        One who think they do not need it please don't respond...

Comment

All AMD CPUs?

Originally posted by Markore View Post
          ... all AMD CPU except APUs support ECC Unbuffered RAM, ...
          What about the AMD Athlon X4 840 and 860K?
          These are CPUs, not APUs.

Comment

Originally posted by drSeehas View Post
            What about the AMD Athlon X4 840 and 860K?
            These are CPUs, not APUs.
            Meaning, all CPU's that are APUs and are made for APU sockets (APUs have their socket types) do not support ECC.
            All other AMD CPUs(without graphics inside, AMD2,AM3+ etc) supports ECC, if used with supporting motherboard (ASUS etc).

Comment

Where could one find information about when socket FP4 chipset code could be ported to Coreboot? It'd be awesome to have an open Carrizo laptop.

Comment

I guess and hope Carizzo will come, too.
                But the HW isn't really there, yet, so I guess we'll se some developer boards first, and maybe also done by Sage.

These developer boards... one could see it as a reference platform and hope that once it is done here it will be eas... less complicated to port it then to normal user/consumer boards (which do actually exist in great numbers).

I really hope we'll have less firmware blobs for Carizzo.
                Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
                  Even if you can't ... since it is a reference board it is a stepping stone to supporting other boards based on the same design.

I think this is is.. no price listed you have to quote it. http://www.sapphiretech.com/embedded...d=db-fp3&lid=1

Acutally they list the price on the product page as USD 2600.00 LOL clearly not aimed at consumers but engineers.
                  Correct. In fact, I applied Bruce's patch with no modifications and was able to get far into Linux kernel init with an MSI A88X-G45 Gaming mobo + A10-7800 (around ~$250 from Newegg combined).

There are issues that need to be ironed out to get fully up and running, but the fact that the firmware image intended for that reference design built and booted my board that far is plain awesome. Hopefully I'll have a fully usable system after a bit more tweaking.

Comment

Working...
                  X