AMD Radeon R9 290 OpenGL On Ubuntu 15.04: Catalyst vs. RadeonSI Gallium3D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Radeon R9 290 OpenGL On Ubuntu 15.04: Catalyst vs. RadeonSI Gallium3D

Phoronix: AMD Radeon R9 290 OpenGL On Ubuntu 15.04: Catalyst vs. RadeonSI Gallium3D

While I've posted some new AMD OpenGL benchmarks on Ubuntu 15.04 since last week's release of the Vivid Vervet, the Radeon R9 290 wasn't tested since at that time this Hawaii graphics card was busy on other Phoronix test systems. However, due to the interest level in seeing some fresh Ubuntu 15.04 numbers for the Radeon R9 290 series, here's some numbers.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

FWIW, my person benchmarks on arch:
    http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1...UTAC-150417216

It can't be compared to the ones here because of the screen resolution and a factory overclocked GPU, but it shows performance is increasing since the initial support last year.

Comment

Originally posted by user82 View Post
      FWIW, my person benchmarks on arch:
      http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1...UTAC-150417216

It can't be compared to the ones here because of the screen resolution and a factory overclocked GPU, but it shows performance is increasing since the initial support last year.
      well llvm 3.7 and latest mesa + 4.1-rc1 improved a lot my r9-280 lately on Arch, in fact i can play the witcher 2 on Ultra with upsampling on with RadeonSI

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
        well llvm 3.7 and latest mesa + 4.1-rc1 improved a lot my r9-280 lately on Arch, in fact i can play the witcher 2 on Ultra with upsampling on with RadeonSI
        Hmm even with ubersampling? I've tried playing Witcher 2 on my 290 and got pretty good results, but haven't tried ubersampling yet. I still haven't got around to playing the game beyond the tutorial yet. I'm pretty annoyed that it doesn't have 5.1 surround support for linux. I've been holding off playing it until both performance and audio get fixed. Seems like performance is now ok, but I'm not sure they'll ever fix the audio. I contacted them and they're aware of the issue but didn't state whether they're going to even try to fix it. But, as long as I have other games to play that I haven't beat yet, I can keep waiting.

I wouldn't care about the surround support if Windows didn't have it either, but it does. Just makes the port seem incomplete.

Comment

It's rather obvious only low end FOSS games are remotely competitive for the FOSS Driver v Catalyst.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
            It's rather obvious only low end FOSS games are remotely competitive for the FOSS Driver v Catalyst.
            completly false, in fact most linux steam games and UT4 linux build run better on FOSS drivers than fglrx(probably this will hold true once metro redux is supported in FOSS drivers), fglrx specially suck ass in team fortress, cities skyline, X3, the Witcher 2(is unplayable), Civilization 5 with certain mods(dunno which since i have 60 active mods and im lazy to find out which of those are allergic to fglrx since radeonsi works just peachy). Aditionally wine and fglrx is a big HELL NO to play my windows steam games like Skyrim(+158 mods), deadpool, grid, etc

R9-280 OC sapphire
            AMD fx6100@4gz
            16GB DDR3 2100
            ArchLinux + lcarlier mesa git

Comment

You need to test using more bleeding edge

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
              I agree, I am doing weekly/daily builds of LLVM trunk (3.7) and git mesa master, not using linux-4.1-rc1 yet there's a lot of risky changes in there i'd rather wait a bit beforehand, Ubuntu and Fedora (though they have LLVM 3.6 unofficial builds now) are too behind and for now, I need to remain in bleeding edge mode (take the SRPM .spec and turn it into building for LLVM trunk/ git mesa master) it's likely going to be this way for awhile until OpenGL 4.x is supported before I fall back to distro build RPMs.

Thanks,
              Shawnn

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                Hmm even with ubersampling? I've tried playing Witcher 2 on my 290 and got pretty good results, but haven't tried ubersampling yet. I still haven't got around to playing the game beyond the tutorial yet. I'm pretty annoyed that it doesn't have 5.1 surround support for linux. I've been holding off playing it until both performance and audio get fixed. Seems like performance is now ok, but I'm not sure they'll ever fix the audio. I contacted them and they're aware of the issue but didn't state whether they're going to even try to fix it. But, as long as I have other games to play that I haven't beat yet, I can keep waiting.

I wouldn't care about the surround support if Windows didn't have it either, but it does. Just makes the port seem incomplete.
                well to be honest i didn't notice it about lack of 5.1 LOL but well if audio is important to you wait for it, btw upsampling just kill framerates but for the life of me at 1080p can't discern any difference at all (holds true on windows 7 partition with catalyst that i use for VCE and compare steam games between linux and windows), not sure if at 4k will have a noticeable effect

Comment

No llvm git ---> useless junk benchmark
                  ## VGA ##
                  AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                  Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Thanks for those tests, Michael. Interesting that the open source driver is even more robust/correct than fglrx - albeit still with slower performance. Looking forward to llvm-3.7(-svn) benchmarks - although I can't get it to compile for 32bit (multilib) for a while now on my gentoo (bug: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=541014 ).

Comment

Working...
                    X