Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debian GNU/Hurd 2015 Released

Phoronix: Debian GNU/Hurd 2015 Released

With this weekend's release of Deboan 8.0 Jessie there wasn't an adjoining Debian GNU/Hurd release, but today that release has come out...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice. I don't use GNU/Hurd for day-to-day stuff, but I'm glad the project exists - if only to ensure it necessary to maintain some level of sysvinit support in Debian, and to see another GPL kernel in development.

I'm actually looking forward to Guix getting some GNU/Hurd love. Guix has a steep learning curve (it feels very unfamiliar territory coming from Debian - I still haven't figured out how to configure X.org to work with my touchpad correctly through the Scheme system config), but it's got some killer features. Development appears to be here: https://github.com/Phant0mas/Guix-on-Hurd

Comment

Great, interesting to see some stuff about Hurd!

Comment

Who gives a rusty effyouseekay?

Coordinate with MIT, Cal-Tech, Berkley, etc.

Get GNOME 3.14.4 for Sid and 3.16.1 for Experimental/Sid. The crap this project continues to waste time on is astounding.

Comment

Originally posted by boltronics View Post
          Nice. I don't use GNU/Hurd for day-to-day stuff, but I'm glad the project exists - if only to ensure it necessary to maintain some level of sysvinit support in Debian,
          Why care about sysv instead of say OpenRC?

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
            Or GNU dmd for that matter (which is what Guix uses).

But sysvinit is the most widely known, and it's super-reliable.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
              Who gives a rusty effyouseekay?

Coordinate with MIT, Cal-Tech, Berkley, etc.

Get GNOME 3.14.4 for Sid and 3.16.1 for Experimental/Sid. The crap this project continues to waste time on is astounding.
              It is their time, not yours. Why do you think you are entitled to tell them to only work on projects you like? Why don't you go ahead and help bringing a newer Gnome to Debian if you want it so badly?

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                OpenRC is also available on GNU/Hurd. You choose which init to use, right now sysv is the default. Of course you cannot run systemd, who would ever want to do that?

Comment

Originally posted by boltronics View Post
                  Or GNU dmd for that matter (which is what Guix uses).

But sysvinit is the most widely known, and it's super-reliable.
                  FYI: GNU dmd and Guix for Hurd is in the works too.

Comment

Originally posted by phrx_reader View Post
                    FYI: GNU dmd and Guix for Hurd is in the works too.
                    Thanks. Yep, I know it's in the works and am looking forward to it, although I have no idea how long we can expect to realistically wait for it to catch up to Debian GNU/Hurd standards. I'm aware they assigned someone from Google SoC to work on it.

Comment

Working...
                    X