OPW/Outreachy Has 30 Summer Projects For Encouraging Women In Open-Source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OPW/Outreachy Has 30 Summer Projects For Encouraging Women In Open-Source

Phoronix: OPW/Outreachy Has 30 Summer Projects For Encouraging Women In Open-Source

Outreachy, the program formerly known as GNOME OPW, has announced their selected participants who will be engaging with various open-source projects over the next few months...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: OPW/Outreachy Has 30 Summer Projects For Encouraging Women In Open-Source

Outreachy, the program formerly known as GNOME OPW, has announced their selected participants who will be engaging with various open-source projects over the next few months...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ay-15-Projects
    when will there be the first occurence of one person that claims to be gender quer to get the job, ohh my and then the reactions spy their past to prove them lieing?

But its funny to mix together a non minority Woman with real minorities.

Maybe if there is at all a discimination of woman its only a symptom of general bigger problems, I would not even call it discrimination, but to get more womans to contribute to opensource is maybe good, not that anybody hindered them in the past... but whatever would just been nicer if the massive discrimation of mans would be fought against in the same strength.

like heroisation as bribe for doing dangerous stuff, make 50% quote in military and fire departments, so that not only man die in such tasks...

It is fairly well known that women today outnumber men in American colleges. In 2003, there were 1.35 females for every male who graduated from a four-year college and 1.3 females for every male undergradute

not to mention the full prisons, help the mans to not get in worse situations that makes them more likely to get crimal. or the much more male victoms of violance...

do both, and I will not question such programs, but of course the not top 1-10% have not such a strong lobby then womans/feminists have...

Comment

Of course there is discrimination against women. I would personally like to think that as enlightened people we would be able to treat everyone equally, but that's just a pipe dream. The fact is people discriminate against women without even realizing it because it's ingrained in their cultures. Even open source cultures are guilty of it too.

Just because things happen on a grand cultural scale doesn't make it good or right.

Comment

"underrepresented" - the red herring of "we hire based on everything but ability".

Comment

Originally posted by ParticleBoard View Post
          "underrepresented" - the red herring of "we hire based on everything but ability".
          It's called Affirmative Action. There are tons of people that would never get educated or employed without it. I consider it a good thing. I've seen it in action for myself.

Comment

Urgh, makes me almost vomit. The cancer has spread.

I find this especially ugly when there are even laws which makes it illegal to practise discrimination. Hence, how it is possible they can discriminate so openly? Are there no such laws in USA?

Comment

Originally posted by moilami View Post
              Urgh, makes me almost vomit. The cancer has spread.

I find this especially ugly when there are even laws which makes it illegal to practise discrimination. Hence, how it is possible they can discriminate so openly? Are there no such laws in USA?
              When was the last time you heard someone else call a women a bitch, or a ho or whatever... It happens everyday openly.

EDIT: A lot of American music is flat out slanderous against women. That spreads the problem in my opinion.
              Last edited by duby229; 30 April 2015, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                When was the last time you heard someone else call a women a bitch, or a ho or whatever... It happens everyday openly.
                When was the last time you heard someone call a man pig, or a tunnel brain or whatever... it happens everyday openly.

When was the last time you saw a man portrayed as an idiot in some comedy or in advertisement? And when was the last time you saw the same happen to a woman? When was the last time you read from newspaper how men are evil, and have you ever read anything similar about women in newspapers? The fact is that media had portrayed men as idiots or evil doers for tens of years, while women are being portrayed as pure and good maidens.

Edit: And oh, sorry, I want to actually answer to your rather irrelevant question, no offence, but that is how your question is. Let me think, hmm.........last time, hmm, I don't even remember when I would had heard something like that with my own ears in real world But I think I have heard that when a couple gets into a verbal fight while being drunken, oh yeah, I heard about 20 years ago a man yelling whore to his girlfriend in the lower floor of the apartment where I lived.
                Last edited by moilami; 30 April 2015, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Am I the only one who sees this 'programs' as hidden misogynie?

'oh, women are weak, easily driven away and unable to make decisions, we need to put special programs up for them...' ... *bleargh*

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

EDIT: A lot of American music is flat out slanderous against women. That spreads the problem in my opinion.
                    I just happened to think what is the problem, and I think that men were taught to do all kind of cool things with computers and technology while women were taught to play with dolls.

Comment

Working...
                    X