Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland & Other Tasks Being Worked On For KDE Plasma 5.4

Phoronix: Wayland & Other Tasks Being Worked On For KDE Plasma 5.4

Now that KDE Plasma 5.3 was released this week, KDE developers are starting to plan out and work on the new material intended for KDE Plasma 5.4...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Wayland & Other Tasks Being Worked On For KDE Plasma 5.4

Now that KDE Plasma 5.3 was released this week, KDE developers are starting to plan out and work on the new material intended for KDE Plasma 5.4...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...4-Feature-Work
    Just a little extra info. From the Kickoff notes:

Originally posted by https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/plasma-devel/2015-April/041283.html;
    = Wayland
    < mgraesslin> so 5.4 is planned to be the first release with proper
    Wayland support
    < mgraesslin> that's two areas
    < mgraesslin> * managing Wayland client
    < mgraesslin> * drm backend
    < mgraesslin> drm backend is already merged into master
    < mgraesslin> but it still needs love (mostly multi-screen)
    < mgraesslin> Wayland client support is currently a branch with 80 commits
    which depending on how much time I find for it could go into master in
    about two weekd
    < sebas> the libkscreen stuff is pretty far along, needs a bit more
    polishing, then we can integrate it with kwin
    < sebas> and going through review, obviously
    < mgraesslin> Plasma itself will probably need to stick on X in the next
    release
    < mgraesslin> many things will break on Wayland
    < mgraesslin> which needs protocols
    < mgraesslin> e.g. taskmanager, clipboard, page, absolute positioning etc
    *) They are also looking to integrate an systemd KCM to system settings.
    *) System settings is looking to get a redesign, not necessarily for 5.4 though: https://community.kde.org/KDE_Visual...gs_Application
    *) Desktop Config is getting some VDG love as well, again not necessarily for 5.4 though: https://community.kde.org/KDE_Visual..._Configuration
    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Excellent environment and excellent Kubuntu.

What is wrong:
      1. heavy: moreover than 2GB of ram occupied;
      2. recyclerbin: the recyclerbin into the notification area implements the empty option which doesn't work;
      3. information center: opengl area doesn't appear crashing program;
      4. clock in the notification area shows the name of day but no longer shows the date when mouse cursor passes on its own icon (since PLASMA 5.3).
      Last edited by Azrael5; 30 April 2015, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pepec9124
        So Gnome3 pretty much ready, Plasma 5 will be in few months, where is blob support ? AMD will have it's unified driver, Nvidia is quiet.
        Plasma 5 will be "ready" in that it will start running. There's a lot more that will need to get fixed up in order to run well, such as adding clipboard support, etc. Don't expect anything actually usable before spring 2016.

NVidia will probably have a driver out by that point as well. AMD will likely be the slower one, even though they've already announced their plans. Switching fglrx over to using amdgpu won't happen overnight, and they'll be able to tell people to just use the radeonsi OSS drivers if they want to use wayland in the meantime.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
          Excellent environment and excellent Kubuntu.

What is wrong:
          1. heavy: moreover than 2GB of ram occupied;
          What's sucking up all your ram? I'm on fedora 21 with plasma5, I've got Firefox open with 15tabs open, plus dolphin and cairo-dock running and im hitting 1335mb of used RAM according to htop

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
            heavy: moreover than 2GB of ram occupied;
            Holy mother of memory leaks you have somewhere in there, i've never seen my plasma session reach 2gb without going hostal on gcc and qtcreator, my regular plasma5 session on arch never reach 900MB with only the destop and 1.2GB when i have firefox open with several tabs and note i have 16GB of ram

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
              Holy mother of memory leaks you have somewhere in there, i've never seen my plasma session reach 2gb without going hostal on gcc and qtcreator, my regular plasma5 session on arch never reach 900MB with only the destop and 1.2GB when i have firefox open with several tabs and note i have 16GB of ram
              Damn, on my system Firefox alone sometimes takes 1.2GB ...
              What are you doing with all that RAM, if the desktop only uses 2GB? tmpfs? I doubt adding that much memory (say, more than 3 times what your applications use) really improves filesystem speed ...

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalGamma View Post
                What are you doing with all that RAM, if the desktop only uses 2GB? tmpfs? I doubt adding that much memory (say, more than 3 times what your applications use) really improves filesystem speed ...
                Well what are you doing WITH firefox to make it take 1.2gb? How many tabs? How many extensions? What sorts of pages? How long do you leave it open before closing it?

Comment

Seems to be all about Appearance

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                  Just a little extra info. From the Kickoff notes:

*) They are also looking to integrate an systemd KCM to system settings.
                  *) System settings is looking to get a redesign, not necessarily for 5.4 though: https://community.kde.org/KDE_Visual...gs_Application
                  *) Desktop Config is getting some VDG love as well, again not necessarily for 5.4 though: https://community.kde.org/KDE_Visual..._Configuration
                  I took a look at the first link you have provided. In the area labelled "Group Exercise" there must have had close to 100 items associated with the word "Appearance". I think this has always been central to KDE's philosophy of being "free". But really it is just to dam much freedom. I'd love KDE, its been my default desktop for some time (though I am starting to be won over by Unity), but I would gladly give up the ability to do a wobble dialog disappearance and 50 other similar settings if I could have something really useful like way to configure Samba or NFS settings from the KDE control panel

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalGamma View Post
                    i use zswap, tmpfs, i develop in C++ and play games too and 16Gb is cheap enough this days, i actually regret i didn't got 32Gb instead to be honest, GCC loves ram specially when doing PGO + lto with crazy thread number to improve compile times while i play TF2 , i got a nice Vector SSD sata3 to go with ofc(i really really really want an PCIe SSD tho)

Comment

Working...
                    X