Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3.17.1 Released

Phoronix: GNOME 3.17.1 Released

Javier Jard?n announced the official release of GNOME 3.17.1 on Sunday, the development milestone leading up to GNOME 3.18...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
    Builder sees a lot of development as well. So far there have been no branching for 3.17. It is highly likely due to further development in Builder 3.16. Latest addition was better support for systemd hacking.
    I dont really see why i should be using Builder over QT Creator..? I want to do C++ development. The UI of Builder looks very disgusting to me.

Comment

Originally posted by gotwig View Post
      I dont really see why i should be using Builder over QT Creator..? I want to do C++ development. The UI of Builder looks very disgusting to me.
      This. GTK has very basic stuff only. When I was considering a multiplatform program and took a look at possibilities, I was shocked to see how bad the IDE was and that GTK didn't even have basic stuff like anything resembling a ListView control. On the other hand, Qt and Qt Creator are both feature rich and easy to use.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
        This. GTK has very basic stuff only. When I was considering a multiplatform program and took a look at possibilities, I was shocked to see how bad the IDE was and that GTK didn't even have basic stuff like anything resembling a ListView control. On the other hand, Qt and Qt Creator are both feature rich and easy to use.
        Huh? Were you looking for this? https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable/TreeWidget.html

Comment

huh? what it hasn't got is dumb split between ListView and TreeView like other GUI sets. you simply use TreeView without hierarchy. and works by default on store/model principle

what is even the point of splitting those two, it always seemed to me as moronic decision

Comment

anyone know if there is a Feature List for 3.18 yet?

Comment

So you're comparing an IDE which has been in development for less than a year, and is no where near feature complete, to an IDE which has been in development since '07 and is feature complete. Anyway you cut that it's a bit of an unfair comparison. Gnome Builder is new and is for the most part worked on by one person who is only paid because people donated a bunch of money for him to be. There isn't a company behind him like there was for Qt Creator. What Builder is at the moment is a good glimpse at what it's going to be in future releases but don't expect it to be completely functional for your ever need right yet. Wait another year and we will see it grow spectacularly.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
                anyone know if there is a Feature List for 3.18 yet?
                Don't you mean a Regression List? *ducks* Seriously though, sometimes I wonder if MS has infiltrated GNOME, it would explain a lot of things.

Kudos to the devs though. I just can't stand they keep dumbing things down and removing features. Maybe not everything will be crippled like gedit and web, but it's causing a lot of uncertainty and doubt.

Comment

Sometimes I really don't understand all the negativity against Gnome. You don't like it? Don't use it. Personally I use it as my main desktop for all my needs as a user (browsing the web, chat, media consumption, etc) and a developer (I do a lot of web and android development). With the addition of just 2 extensions (dash to dock which I really feel should be integrated and system monitor) the whole workflow is quite comfortable to me. The very same applies to colleagues at work and friends, heck even my parents are comfortable using Gnome. As for the complains about the removal of some features, while I understand it annoys some people, personally I don't always find it such a tragic event as they make it look to just move to another DE. Of course every and each one of us is free to do as they please or feel but I just believe that bashing the developers every single time for a feature removal that happened eg 2 years ago, is quite lame and childish.
                  A big thank you to all the developers for your great work and dedication!

Comment

Originally posted by Remdul View Post
                    Don't you mean a Regression List? *ducks* Seriously though, sometimes I wonder if MS has infiltrated GNOME, it would explain a lot of things.

Kudos to the devs though. I just can't stand they keep dumbing things down and removing features. Maybe not everything will be crippled like gedit and web, but it's causing a lot of uncertainty and doubt.
                    Gedit retained 100% of the features when the UI was redesigned. Calling it "crippled" doesn't make sense.

Comment

Working...
                    X