Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mono 4 Is Planned For Fedora 23

Phoronix: Mono 4 Is Planned For Fedora 23

Aside from the other features proposed thus far for Fedora 23, the update of the popular Red Hat sponsored Linux distribution due out in late 2015, you can add Mono 4.0 to the list...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great

I code in PHP, Python, Java, C# and JavaScript. I've also had limited experience with C, C++, Ruby and Perl.
    I have to say C# is the best programming language I have ever used.
    Between standard libraries/frameworks, I also have to say that the .NET Framework is the best.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      C# is the best programming language I have ever used.
      Agreed, and yet we still have "this controversial software" as description.

The only thing I wish, is that there were a C# implementation of QtQuick. I don't need a full Qt-sharp, just QtQuick for Mono.

Comment

Mono is controversial?

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
          Mono is controversial?
          A bunch of radical free software people and their blind Microsoft hatred (I don't own a machine with their OS, but I'm not unreasonable) spread fear uncertainty and doubt about Mono.

This is why Ubuntu used to have some Mono apps by default, and now they don't.

Comment

Originally posted by lunarcloud View Post
            A bunch of radical free software people and their blind Microsoft hatred (I don't own a machine with their OS, but I'm not unreasonable) spread fear uncertainty and doubt about Mono.

This is why Ubuntu used to have some Mono apps by default, and now they don't.
            I doubt it has anything to do with FUD. Most of the Mono desktop apps that distributions used to ship by default including F-Spot and Tomboy stopped being maintained completely and got replaced by other alternatives. The company sponsoring Mono development has shifted their focus on mobile development. This has resulted in much less interest from Linux distros.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
              I doubt it has anything to do with FUD. Most of the Mono desktop apps that distributions used to ship by default including F-Spot and Tomboy stopped being maintained completely and got replaced by other alternatives. The company sponsoring Mono development has shifted their focus on mobile development. This has resulted in much less interest from Linux distros.

In my opinion Mono is a patent trap and I do not want my distribution of choice to be tainted by anything Mono or any application that requires Mono. So I would welcome your feedback for the follow...

One of the most controversial entities (for lack of a better word) in the Linux world today is Mono. I won't go into a lot of detail here, because I would prefer to avoid yet another shouting match about it - there are plenty of those around, if you care to take part in one.

Banshee will be replaced by Rhythmbox for Ubuntu 12.04. The news was confirmed during the wrap-up session of the Ubuntu Developer Summit.

Some links remembering the general controversy and eventual removal in 12.04
              Those apps are no longer maintained because of being dropped by everyone, not the other way around.

Comment

...remembering the general controversy...
                To be honest, people were rightfully afraid of Microsoft suing everyone.
                We'd been burned on so many things, and this was the time they tried to underhandedly force OOXML as a "standard".
                No one had any idea their intentions with CLI/C# would be so good they open sourced the core.

Comment

Some links remembering the general controversy and eventual removal in 12.04
                  Those apps are no longer maintained because of being dropped by everyone, not the other way around.
                  Err no. F-Spot stopped getting active maintenance long before 12.04

So did Tomboy.

Upstreams don't stop maintenance just because one distro makes an app non-default.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
                    Err no. F-Spot stopped getting active maintenance long before 12.04

So did Tomboy.

Upstreams don't stop maintenance just because one distro makes an app non-default.
                    Bansee dev didn't stop and, I believe, many other distros did this just beforehand.
                    And, how much work active maintenance really needed to go into Tomboy before things like Evernote integration was ever a thing?

I guess I'm saying it's a bit of all these factors, but political was a big part of the considerations (along with maintenance and disc space).

Comment

Working...
                    X