Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting GSoC 2015 Projects: Wine D3DRM, GameStream, NaCL Fun

Phoronix: Interesting GSoC 2015 Projects: Wine D3DRM, GameStream, NaCL Fun

Besides the six new X.Org projects this summer, there's also a lot of other interesting projects being pursued over the next few months via Google's annual Summer of Code initiative...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hi Michael, you mentioned "Wine D3DRM" as an interesting GSoC project in the title of the article,

but in the body you never actually talked about that or what that was.

Wine D3DRM is what caught my eye about the article in the first place.

Comment

Isn't D3DRM something from the very early days of D3D, or does it still exist in current versions? What applications still use it today?

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
        Isn't D3DRM something from the very early days of D3D, or does it still exist in current versions? What applications still use it today?
        I think it's been abandoned, yes. Sounds like it was present up to Windows XP, and removed in Vista.

Direct3D initially implemented "retained mode" and "immediate mode" 3D APIs. The retained mode was a COM-based scene graph API that attained little adoption. Game developers clamored for more direct control of the hardware's activities than the Direct3D retained mode could provide. Only two games that sold a significant volume, Lego Island and Lego Rock Raiders, were based on the Direct3D retained mode, so Microsoft did not update the retained mode after DirectX 3.0.

Comment

- NVIDIA GameStream support is being added to the Game API within XBMC/Kodi. .

I dont see why GOOGLE spends MONEY on KODI DEVELOPMENT to integrate A PROPRIETARY NVIDIA GAMESTREAMING PROTOCOL THATS WINDOWS ONLY?!

Can anyone PLS explain, I hit my head versus the wall and cant get it.

Comment

Originally posted by gotwig View Post
            I dont see why GOOGLE spends MONEY on KODI DEVELOPMENT to integrate A PROPRIETARY NVIDIA GAMESTREAMING PROTOCOL THATS WINDOWS ONLY?!

Kodi runs on Windows too.

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
              Kodi runs on Windows too.

Kodi is multi platform... i said the host, not the guest, is windows only.

Comment

The server is Windows-only (Nvidia's GeForce Experience software), but the idea of the GSoC project is to build a GameStream-client into Kodi. This way you could stream games from a PC with GFE to whatever you've got running Kodi.

Comment

i said the host, not the guest, is windows only.
                  Yeah. So?

Comment

I also don't understand why google is sponsoring stuff that is not really of public benefit for everybody. Or why everything must be rewritten in JavaScript today.

Anyway, the D3D-RM was totally new to me. After reading the hints here in the forum it seems like one of those "corner cases" to me. But if somebody really wants to do it, well, why not.

> A graphical tool for flashing and extracting BIOS ROM images

Rather than having a GUI to flashrom I'd prefer to have better support for chips in flashrom at all. There is such a plethora of SuperIOs/ECs and actual flash chips that is not yet supported. I think that this issue needs to be addressed much earlier. What do we need a fancy GUI for if it is still limited to mainboards (or other devices) that are so old that you won't see BIOS/FW updates anyway? (Unless throwing coreboot at them, but if somebody wants to do coreboot that person is likely also willing to use flashrom on the CLI.)
                    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Working...
                    X