Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Many OpenGL ES 3.1 Commits Land In Mesa

Phoronix: Many OpenGL ES 3.1 Commits Land In Mesa

While OpenGL 4.0+ support continues to be tackled for Mesa, finishing up OpenGL ES 3.1 support within Mesa seems to be a pressing priority for Intel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

11 more "not started" out of the gl3.txt file, plus 3 "additional fuctions" to go. Then all we have is vulkan to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Laughing1 View Post
      11 more "not started" out of the gl3.txt file, plus 3 "additional fuctions" to go. Then all we have is vulkan to do.
      And then we can play non-existant GL4.5 games at 15FPS! Yaay!

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
        Well, that isn't really the issue. The problems are:
        (1) It looks bad to be behind the curve.
        (2) They'll still be fiddling with older hardware drivers to add these features for years to come, and each time something changes, there is a risk that something breaks.

Still, 11 features behind isn't too bad. That's about a year's work...

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
          You won't believe it, but there are considerable amount of people playing for example DirectX11 requiring Elite: Dangerous on Intel hardware, turning everything down, but still playing. Sometimes playing game matters more than having everything shiny. I expect number of OpenGL 4 games to rise quite considerably, and they most likely will be played on Intel hardware too.

Comment

Developers! Developers! Developers!
            On the serious side, they are probably less than 11.
            GL_ARB_framebuffer_no_attachments is already finished(but not merged yet) even if its not listed as so.
            GL_ARB_tessellation_shader is *almost* working for Ilia.
            I guess the last concern for the developers is to update the GL3.txt
            But still Vulcan is the future.

Live long and prosper! V!

Comment

@Drago i can't try tesselation on nouveau (only OGL 3.3 support) but on radeonsi i can run unigine-heaven & tessmark(gputest)

Looks like intel need gles3.1 for mobile and don't care to much into opengl > 3.3 because it is not their target. But when 4.x will be done for intel we will see what performance we have (for all drivers we'll see). For now 15 fps is very optimistic opinion

Comment

Originally posted by frosth View Post
                @Drago i can't try tesselation on nouveau (only OGL 3.3 support) but on radeonsi i can run unigine-heaven & tessmark(gputest)

Looks like intel need gles3.1 for mobile and don't care to much into opengl > 3.3 because it is not their target. But when 4.x will be done for intel we will see what performance we have (for all drivers we'll see). For now 15 fps is very optimistic opinion
                Delivering GL ES 3.1 also gives us a big chunk of OpenGL 4.2/4.3

If we look at the outstanding chunks from the gl3 page:

GL_ARB_arrays_of_arrays started (Timothy) -- required for OpenGL 4.3
                GL_ARB_compute_shader in progress (jljusten) -- required for OpenGL 4.3
                GL_ARB_framebuffer_no_attachments not started -- required for OpenGL 4.3
                GL_ARB_shader_image_load_store in progress (curro) -- required for OpenGL 4.2 (last remaining 4.2 item)
                GL_ARB_shader_image_size in progress (Martin Peres) -- required for OpenGL 4.3
                GL_ARB_shader_storage_buffer_object not started -- required for OpenGL 4.3

So if they finish GLES 3.1 it'll help a good bit towards getting OpenGL4.3 support done.

Comment

As long as it supports WebGL, that's cool. If it's not in the browser, it's dead (won't matter in the long term).

Comment

Working...
                  X