Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Linux Usage Drops Below 1%

Phoronix: Steam Linux Usage Drops Below 1%

While we didn't expect any big gains for the Linux gaming market-share over the past month, it does come as a surprise there's a significant drop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Steam is developed for 32-bit Ubuntu, but Ubuntu only supports UEFI on 64 bits. Just getting Steam to run on 64-bit Ubuntu is frustrating, and when you just resolved all the library conflicts, your work gets undone by the next Steam update.

Instead of dealing with it, I'm just waiting for the Steam Machines to arrive.

Comment

Could this be because of Windows 10?

I am not suggesting that people are moving to an unfinished OS to replace their Steam Machines, but devs that might have been playing around with Steam Linux might be using those same boxes to test out the new stuff Microsoft is pushing. They might need it for their day job, or for interesting fun.

Or, they want to be ready to test out DX12, which is much closer to shipping than Vulkan, since the spec has been locked down and Microsoft has said they will ship Windows 10 this Summer.

Comment

The reasons are simple really:
        1. Most Linux users probably aren't gamers (many are, but not a majority)
        2. Those that are have probably either (A) Gotten over the novelty of Steam on Linux and went back to their Windows VMs/Dualboot where shit works, (B) beaten all of the games they've bought so far and haven't found any new ones to play, or (C) some combo of the two

There hasn't exactly been a mad-dash of new games on Linux through steam lately. Just a slow, steady stream (of most indie games), so it's obvious that eventually the usage was going to slow down as people got tired of playing the same games over and over.

Get some exciting new games on there and watch the usage shoot up to 1.3+% again.

Comment

All my laptops and non gaming PCs run Mint 17.1. My desktop gaming machines though run Windows. Cause I don't game often on my laptops it's OK to use Linux. I'd like to switch full time to Linux and game on it, but the reality is Steam isn't the only player in gaming. Far Cry 4 does not work on Wine along with Dragon Age Inquisition. World of Warcraft won't even work right now with Gallium Nine currently. Either Wine has to get a lot better or EA and Blizzard need to jump onto the Linux train.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
            The reasons are simple really:
            1. Most Linux users probably aren't gamers (many are, but not a majority)
            2. Those that are have probably either (A) Gotten over the novelty of Steam on Linux and went back to their Windows VMs/Dualboot where shit works, (B) beaten all of the games they've bought so far and haven't found any new ones to play, or (C) some combo of the two

There hasn't exactly been a mad-dash of new games on Linux through steam lately. Just a slow, steady stream (of most indie games), so it's obvious that eventually the usage was going to slow down as people got tired of playing the same games over and over.

Get some exciting new games on there and watch the usage shoot up to 1.3+% again.
            3. Steam surveys are pretty random and not exactly representational.. Over the God knows how many months I have used steam I have gotten 1 survey on Linux but while using wine to play skyrim I got it 3 months in a row.

Comment

I'm probably not counted. I pull all my games down on Linux using steamcmd and never run the full-blown steam client on Linux. I don't see any point in the steam client. I shut it down whenever I notice it running on windows as well. It's pointless adware IMO.

Comment

SteamOS is nothing to get excited about. It's currently based on Debian Oldstable and is buggy. I stopped using it.

As of now, Steam Linux beta client seems to have a very nasty bug that prevents certain keyboard keys from working. Whenever I type in discussion groups from within the Steam client, the delete, backspace, period, and arrow keys don't work at all and many people have reported this issue.

While I enjoy gaming on Linux, if we're being honest with ourselves the experience is still better on Windows. Many AAA games have better framerate on Windows for whichever reasons--better drivers or optimization, no wrapper ports, etc. Just look at Dying Light and The Witcher 2. The only way Linux will be a major success with gamers is if it offers a better experience than what they use now (Windows) and as of now that isn't the case. Steam Machines won't change that since most Steam Machines will also have a Windows 10 option as well.

Comment

Originally posted by ormaaj View Post
                  I'm probably not counted. I pull all my games down on Linux using steamcmd and never run the full-blown steam client on Linux. I don't see any point in the steam client. I shut it down whenever I notice it running on windows as well. It's pointless adware IMO.
                  with the fullscreen mode you can use it as konsole without mice and keyboard and play only with xbox-controller or if it ever gets released in the next 1000 years the steam controller. that would be a point. and I even try that with windows but windows is a focus stealing bitch that cant fucking shut the fuck up and go to hell.

Why am I not there, I have a dedicated gaming pc on my tv, I would never use a proprietary programm on my working maschine. yes yes I know bioses and stuff I am not so far than rms is, but gluckgluck hits my needs nearly if ti would been out earlier or I would have known of it I would maybe have bought it, bought a year ago or so or even less a X220 so I am close there is at least coreboot images, maybe in a year or so we see that machine come out as gluckgluck 2. then maybe I buf it that dvorak and free software sticker alone gets me

That said, is wine a secure enough sandbox that the probprietary software cant harm the native stuff? I would like to play leage of legends. But I think even if it does not work.

Valve should give out a streaming client under gpl. that would be a good move. of course they would keep the control and could shut it down from the streaming server side always, but at least for now we could play proprietary software without taking big risks on working machines.

btw that would be a great gnu project, just make a moba game, development costs compared to a mmorpg 1/100. And it would work great with free drivers because most of em dont have extreme requirements and they have sucess like hell... wantet to write a starcraft 2 clone/at least in some degree like it but have/had not the environment, and I would shurly fail but that would not stop me from trying I guess, if I would have a completly problem free environment and the basic income grant we need now all to be more productive/creative
                  I wrote at least as lead developer with a bit help a singstar clone, so I did learn how you dont develop games but still it worked

Download Canta 0.2.1 for Linux - Canta is a caraoke-like game for kids, with educational claim.

Comment

Beats me. I've got lots of great games to play in Linux. None of the windows only games are really any good anyway (Skyrim, seriously? YAWN.).

But then again, I've gotten the steam survey like twice ever. I just never get it for some reason. I wish they used a different method to track OS's than the survey.

Comment

Working...
                    X