Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Unity 8 Items Being Worked On For The Ubuntu Desktop

Phoronix: The Unity 8 Items Being Worked On For The Ubuntu Desktop

Discussed this morning during the second day of the Ubuntu Online Summit for Ubuntu 15.10 was "Unity 8 as the default desktop." Unity 7 will remain the default for Ubuntu 15.10, but a lot of progress is expected this Wily Werewolf cycle...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Unity/Mir convergence is bullshit

Tizen/Wayland convergence is bullshit

Comment

If it's not ready for a release alongside 15.10 then there's a 80% chance we won't see it in 16.04 LTS either.

I'm extremely skeptical Canonical will release Unity 8 for the first time ever on an LTS version.

Comment

Originally posted by Krysto View Post
        If it's not ready for a release alongside 15.10 then there's a 80% chance we won't see it in 16.04 LTS either.

I'm extremely skeptical Canonical will release Unity 8 for the first time ever on an LTS version.
        It wont be the default mode, unity 7 will still be default in the next lts.

Comment

Why exactly would one want to run X11 applications via virtual container (lxc) on the same system ???

Comment

Originally posted by LLStarks View Post
            Unity/Mir convergence is bullshit
            I disagree: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3PUYoa1c9M

Originally posted by LLStarks View Post
            Tizen/Wayland convergence is bullshit
            Samsung could pull it off. From what I've seen in demos though, I agree.

Comment

i agree

Originally posted by maokei View Post
              It wont be the default mode, unity 7 will still be default in the next lts.
              i doubt unity 8 will ready for desktop, at least at same level of 7 in 16.04, but both will be launch one with name ubuntu and other ubuntu-next, then who cares?

Comment

Originally posted by theghost View Post
                Why exactly would one want to run X11 applications via virtual container (lxc) on the same system ???
                It's not a virtual container. It's a container; there's no virtualization of any kind, it's just a strongly contained process. It's there to contain things you don't trust. X11 can't be trusted. I run several apps in containers right now, because I don't trust them. We would like to have a desktop where you can trust the OS, not the individual app.

If I get my wish, an app cannot access all my personal files and the net. It cannot listen to keystrokes from other apps. It can't access other apps data. It can't take a screenshot, only a window-shot. It can't listen to audio that's coming from or going to other apps.

I want isolation. That's what LXC is for.

Comment

Originally posted by jo-erlend View Post
                  It's not a virtual container. It's a container; there's no virtualization of any kind, it's just a strongly contained process. It's there to contain things you don't trust. X11 can't be trusted. I run several apps in containers right now, because I don't trust them. We would like to have a desktop where you can trust the OS, not the individual app.

If I get my wish, an app cannot access all my personal files and the net. It cannot listen to keystrokes from other apps. It can't access other apps data. It can't take a screenshot, only a window-shot. It can't listen to audio that's coming from or going to other apps.

I want isolation. That's what LXC is for.
                  Forget containers. Unikernels are the next big thing and much more secure:

Unikernels and immutable infrastructure yield smaller, more secure and higher performance microservices than alternatives.

Comment

Working...
                  X