Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Demo Of Ubuntu's Unity 8 On The Desktop

Phoronix: A Demo Of Ubuntu's Unity 8 On The Desktop

In continuation of this morning's Ubuntu 15.10 UOS session about plans for Unity 8 on the Ubuntu desktop, that was followed by a demo of the current Unity 8 desktop experience -- including some experimental code shown by Canonical developers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why are they doing the demo'ing with fake placeholder apps? On youtube, Popescu Sorin has it running with real apps, a much more impressive demo, IMO. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mCPxkPqiUc)

Comment

Even gedit doesn't work 100% on Mir on Unity 8, yet? Jesus. No way this will be more usable than weston as a desktop by 16.04.
      Here I am writing this from Gnome 3.16 on Wayland from Chromium, where X and native apps just work only copy&paste between them doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
        Even gedit doesn't work 100% on Mir on Unity 8, yet? Jesus. No way this will be more usable than weston as a desktop by 16.04.
        Here I am writing this from Gnome 3.16 on Wayland from Chromium, where X and native apps just work only copy&paste between them doesn't.
        Look at the youtube author I posted. He has a ton of video's showing off a number of applications.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
          only?
          this is a crucial feature I think. When do they plan to implement that? Do they?

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
            only?
            this is a crucial feature I think. When do they plan to implement that? Do they?
            Again, if you took 30 seconds, you could find a video demonstrating gtk, qt, and other apps working in Unity 8 in the collection by Popescu Sorin. Or, you could stay ignorant, and keep discussion problems that don't exist. Your call.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
              Again, if you took 30 seconds, you could find a video demonstrating gtk, qt, and other apps working in Unity 8 in the collection by Popescu Sorin. Or, you could stay ignorant, and keep discussion problems that don't exist. Your call.
              sorry - I was talking about wayland and X
              I reffered to your "only" from "Wayland from Chromium, where X and native apps just work only copy&paste between them doesn't."

and I did not discuss anything - I asked. But some people seem to take questions as offense - strange?
              Last edited by tomtomme; 06 May 2015, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Guys, just port Unity 8 to Wayland instead...

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
                  Look at the youtube author I posted. He has a ton of video's showing off a number of applications.
                  Running an appliction != having a working application. If you watch the video that is linked in the article the developer says that he can't even right click in gedit on Mir. Gedit is probably one of the simplest pure GTK3 applications.

@tomtomme

Copy/Paste buffer sharing between Xwayland and Wayland apps will be implemented. They probably could do a quick and dirty implementation, but that would make them just as much of a security nightmare as current X apps that can do whatever they want.

Comment

why?

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    Guys, just port Unity 8 to Wayland instead...
                    because gedit? since gedit 3.10 it become a garbage

Comment

Working...
                    X