Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VirtualBox 5.0 Beta 3 Released

Phoronix: VirtualBox 5.0 Beta 3 Released

The third beta to VirtualBox 5.0 is now available. VirtualBox 5.0 is a big step forward to Oracle's virtualization software and adds PV support to Windows/Linux guests, XHCI controller support for USB 3.0 devices, bi-directional drag-and-drop to guests, and more...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm an idiot, what is paravirtualization and do other solutions like Vmware Workstation already have it?

Comment

Originally posted by LLStarks View Post
      I'm an idiot, what is paravirtualization and do other solutions like Vmware Workstation already have it?
      Afaik the concept is on a very rough level that instead of emulating a real hardware device you design a special device for cheap data transfers between guest and host and write a guest driver for it. It's used a lot in network virtualization because emulation ends up bottlenecking those at high data transfer rates. Also paravirtualized disks exist. Yes, this is a concept in VMWare, it installs all relevant drivers when you install VMWare tools on default settings

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
        Afaik the concept is on a very rough level that instead of emulating a real hardware device you design a special device for cheap data transfers between guest and host and write a guest driver for it. It's used a lot in network virtualization because emulation ends up bottlenecking those at high data transfer rates. Also paravirtualized disks exist. Yes, this is a concept in VMWare, it installs all relevant drivers when you install VMWare tools on default settings
        Of course VirtualBox already supports fast communication mechanisms between host and guest for disk and network I/O as well as graphics; in this context paravirtualization means direct access to various host devices. As far as I can tell at the moment it's just some timers (HPET?).

Comment

Working...
        X