Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE's KWin Just Became A Proper Wayland Compositor

Phoronix: KDE's KWin Just Became A Proper Wayland Compositor

Martin Gr??lin just shared that with the forthcoming KDE Plasma 5.4 update, KWin will serve as a proper Wayland compositor!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Excellent news about the forthcoming emancipation from X11.

Comment

Finally, about time. I'll just wait until the arch linux documentation gets updated before I attempt it.

Comment

Does anyone know what will happen with opengl games in wayland? I know for sure that if i enable desktop effects in System Configuration i get bad performance in TF2 for example. And this is related to opengl for desktop effect, but isn't Wayland opengl based compositor? Are these things related one to another?

Comment

Originally posted by edmon View Post
          Did anyone know what will happen with opengl games in wayland? I know for sure that if i enable desktop effects in System Configuration i get bad performance in TF2 for example. And this is related to opengl for desktop effect, but isn't Wayland opengl based compositor? Are these things related one to another?
          The only reason some games have worse performance with desktop effects is because they don't implement fullscreen mode properly to avoid other issues. They just scale up the window to make it look fullscreen, it will still be composited. A real fullscreen application bypasses the display server and compositor anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
            The only reason some games have worse performance with desktop effects is because they don't implement fullscreen mode properly to avoid other issues. They just scale up the window to make it look fullscreen, it will still be composited. A real fullscreen application bypasses the display server and compositor anyway.
            Does Valve knows that?

Comment

Does anyone know what will happen with opengl games in wayland? I know for sure that if i enable desktop effects in System Configuration i get bad performance in TF2 for example. And this is related to opengl for desktop effect, but isn't Wayland opengl based compositor? Are these things related one to another?
              You can temporarily turn off the compositor with alt-shift-f12
              All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Desktop compositing is way more efficient on Wayland than X, so the overhead should be much less noticeable.
                But anyways fullscreen applications aren't composited on Wayland AFAIK, so there should be no change from what you have now on X with desktop effects disabled.
                Last edited by Scias; 08 May 2015, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Does Valve knows that?
                  Your compositor knows that. Both kwin and mutter suspend compositing for fullscreen windows after few secs.

Comment

Originally posted by magika View Post
                    Your compositor knows that. Both kwin and mutter suspend compositing for fullscreen windows after few secs.
                    And then why this suspend didn't happen for me and i've see bad performance with desktop effect enabled?

Comment

Working...
                    X