Fglrx 8.6 or 8.7 doesn't work with Intel AGP at all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fglrx 8.6 or 8.7 doesn't work with Intel AGP at all

Here I am, back once again struggling with this proprietary driver. About 6 months ago I tried to set up my video card (X700 256mb AGP) to work with the new driver that supported AIGLX.

Technical support and discussion of the open-source AMD Radeon graphics drivers.

It was a suffering, I lost many hours of useless work because it just didn't worked. At that time I switched to the open source radeon driver but now I wanna try the proprietary driver again. More suffering. I've tried thousands of different configurations, tested in many scenarios and that's my situation:

If my intel_agp module is loaded, without kdm started I can modprobe fglrx correctly without any error, but when I start kdm I just get a blank screen and computer is frozen. I blacklisted some modules:
    Code:
    blacklist agpgart
    blacklist intel_agp
    blacklist radeon
    blacklist drm
    and now fglrx loads, and kdm starts, but I get these errors in my Xorg.0.log, if I disable intel_agp looks like fglrx is not able to load a agp module(does it have one ? or do I really have to use intel_agp ? )

Code:
    (EE) fglrx(0): [agp] unable to acquire AGP, error -1023
    (EE) fglrx(0): cannot init AGP
    (EE) fglrx(0): atiddxDriScreenInit failed, GPS not been initialized. 
    (WW) fglrx(0): ***********************************************
    (WW) fglrx(0): * DRI initialization failed!                  *
    (WW) fglrx(0): * (maybe driver kernel module missing or bad) *
    (WW) fglrx(0): * 2D acceleraton available (MMIO)             *
    (WW) fglrx(0): * no 3D acceleration available                *
    (WW) fglrx(0): ********************************************* *
    (EE) fglrx(0): XMM failed to open CMMQS connection.
    No 3d acceleration and no nice features of the driver is enabled :-(

Before anything I had made many tests:
    Different versions of the driver: from 8.5 to 8.7
    Different versions of the kernel: 2.6.24 and 2.6.25

I even compiled another kernel (2.6.24) with these notes in mind:

even though my image kernel's .config file was alread as it should be I recompiled, and no difference. I tried debian's fglrx packages and created packages with the installer from ati.amd.com, no difference.

PLEASE somebody help me
    if you know a magic trick that convinces this driver to not freeze with intel_agp module, or know if fglrx has a generic agp module and how to use it/make it work I'd appreciate that.
    I already tried switching this option on and off and no difference:
    Code:
    Option      "UseInternalAGPGART" "no"
    In windoze my system works fine, I play games and everything else, my card is not damaged.

My system:
    Saphire Radeon x700 AGP 8x 128 bits 256 MB DDR1

* CRT 19" monitor: model AOC 9klr Spectrum with a 1280x1024 resolution.

* Motherboard/chipset model: Intel D865PERL / intel i865P

* Processor type : Pentium 4 2.6ghz HT 512kb cache Northwood core socket 478

* Ammount of memmory: 2GB DDR400

* Distro used: Debian Sid 32bit (unstable)

* Kernel version: 2.6.24-etchnhalf-customized kernel

* Xorg version: 1.4.2

* catalyst 8.7

I think my next step is to debug, if anyone can provide me information on how to proceed.

Thanks in advance.

Well that option is useless for kernel 2.6. It was only working for kernel 2.4. Be sure you use the kernel agp driver.

Comment

AFAIK we rely on external AGP support, ie we are not using any kind of built in AGP driver. Not sure if blacklisting drm only takes out the open source drm or also blocks the fglrx drm from running, but my first thought is not to blacklist anything but radeon and start debugging in that direction.

Can you pastebin your log without the blacklisting ?
      Test signature

Comment

logs

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        AFAIK we rely on external AGP support, ie we are not using any kind of built in AGP driver. Not sure if blacklisting drm only takes out the open source drm or also blocks the fglrx drm from running, but my first thought is not to blacklist anything but radeon and start debugging in that direction.

Can you pastebin your log without the blacklisting ?
        Hi there Kano and Bridgman, thanks for the help.

I blacklisted only radeon module and disabled automatic startup of kdm. I logged in the text console and them manually modprobe fglrx, no errors. When I started kdm blank screen and the computer hangs. I waited log time to check if it would load after some time but no luck.

This is the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file
        Pastebin.com is the number one paste tool since 2002. Pastebin is a website where you can store text online for a set period of time.

This is the /var/log/syslog file:
        Pastebin.com is the number one paste tool since 2002. Pastebin is a website where you can store text online for a set period of time.

this is /var/log/kdm file:

this is my /etc/X11/xorg.conf

After the tests I switched back to radeon open source drivers, that's why you'll see radeon messages in the syslog file

Thanks in advance guys.

Comment

same problem here with Intel 875 chipset

I've been wrestling with the Radeon 3850 and Linux Catalyst 8.7 for nearly a week. Same type of problems, "cant acquire AGP" and "perpetual Mesa". Please see the following link for all the gory details:
          Argh. What a frickin PITA this has become. I've been wrestling with this for a week now. All I want is accelerated 2D, I don't even care about 3D. Too

Unfortunately there does not appear to be an open source equivalent that supports the Radeon 3850 so it's either make this work or punt!

At least I was able to get rid of the "cant acquire AGP" error by loading the drm module, but I'm still left without 2D acceleration. And loading drm may not be a fix anyway if it short circuits fglrx's drm.
          I'll keep plugging away, but sure could use some help. I'll keep everyone posted on any progress I make. Please do the same. Thanks.

Pete

P.S. Yes, the Radeon 3850 works flawlessly under XP! Argh!

Comment

Maybe change AGP size in BIOS.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
              Already tried that. I decreased the aperture size to 128mb but no success.
              I'll try decreasing it to 64mb maybe it has an effect. When I get home and test that I'll post the result.

Originally posted by nbi1 View Post
              I'll keep plugging away, but sure could use some help. I'll keep everyone posted on any progress I make. Please do the same. Thanks.
              I'll do that nbil. Actually I received an email from one of the ati devs to join the beta testers group, but I ended up not subscribing because at that time I was too much busy with college and work, but I regretted that... If I'd had done that at that time, maybe they would have fixed it. I'll try to subscribe now anyway. The more AGP users we have in the beta testers group the better it is for us.

Comment

Originally posted by nbi1 View Post
                I've been wrestling with the Radeon 3850 and Linux Catalyst 8.7 for nearly a week. Same type of problems, "cant acquire AGP" and "perpetual Mesa". Please see the following link for all the gory details:
                Argh. What a frickin PITA this has become. I've been wrestling with this for a week now. All I want is accelerated 2D, I don't even care about 3D. Too

Unfortunately there does not appear to be an open source equivalent that supports the Radeon 3850 so it's either make this work or punt!
                seems like radeonhd supports your card:

just install the xserver-xorg-video-radeonhd package and use radeonhd instead of fglrx or ati in xorg.conf

which model is your card Sapphire ?

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                  Already tried all sizes ranging from 4-512 MB. No impact on video.

Comment

Originally posted by israel_miranda View Post
                    seems like radeonhd supports your card:

just install the xserver-xorg-video-radeonhd package and use radeonhd instead of fglrx or ati in xorg.conf

which model is your card Sapphire ?
                    No, HIS. The radeon notes I discovered previously didn't cover it. I'll give that link a try. Many thanks.

Comment

Working...
                    X