Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kernel Mode-Setting Gets Ready, libdrm Updated

Phoronix: Kernel Mode-Setting Gets Ready, libdrm Updated

With the grunt of the development efforts on the Linux 2.6.28 kernel winding down, soon the merge window for Linux 2.6.29 will open and that's where Intel is prepared to (finally) commit the kernel mode-setting framework and code that supports their hardware to the mainline Linux kernel. With this milestone finally coming, Intel's Jesse Barnes has updated libdrm with the needed files.Found in the Git master code for libdrm are several new files and modifications to existing files that provide some of the support needed to provide video mode-setting within the Direct Rendering Manager...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And this is where nVidia starts to learn that their singular closed source driver effort will struggle to keep pace with the open source teamwork based community of developers working together to advance the capabilities of their competitors drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by hubick View Post
      And this is where nVidia starts to learn that their singular closed source driver effort will struggle to keep pace with the open source teamwork based community of developers working together to advance the capabilities of their competitors drivers.
      I don't think they have anything to worry about until their technology is way behind and in the dust.

Comment

Stability

It would be nice if some of the stability issues with Intel experienced by current distributions (like Fedora 10) could be addressed before new features are added. Corrupted windows (when too many windows are open) in Compiz, hangs, "IRQ 16 nobody cared" are all very annoying. In addition, even simple games, like FreeDOOM in GL mode, are not displayed correctly.

I'm all for free and open source drivers - it's why I buy Intel video based machines - but the proprietary Nvidia drivers on my old machines are more stable. I don't see much discussion on this subject, even though there are many folks added to the bug reports.

Comment

Well, too bad ATI hardware KMS support won't make it before 2.6.29 window closes.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
            Well, too bad ATI hardware KMS support won't make it before 2.6.29 window closes.
            I second that ...

though on the other hand 2.6.30 is a good number let's just hope to get by 2.6.30 kms, gem and dri2...

Comment

ATI is way behind. NVidia does their own thing (and it works; fast and nicely), Intel also does their own thing but openly, and ATI just sits there and gives its Linux customers a hard time.

Thank you, ATI.

Comment

I think it's because all three companies probably have very similiar number of people working on the Linux drivers. That said AMD/ATI divides those people to:
                - fglrx blob
                - radeon (video-ati) driver
                - radeonhd (though I'm unsure how the Novel guys are conected with AMD and if they can be called asigned by AMD on the task)

Comment

This is a bit off topic but I suspect many here are thinking it, so I'll just go ahead and say it:

I CAN HAS LINUX GRAPHICS SURVEY 2008 RESULTS PLZ? KTHNX BY.

I'm curious to see how many users care for 3D, modesetting, mutlihead, etc..

Comment

Originally posted by myxal View Post
                    This is a bit off topic but I suspect many here are thinking it, so I'll just go ahead and say it:

I CAN HAS LINUX GRAPHICS SURVEY 2008 RESULTS PLZ? KTHNX BY.

I'm curious to see how many users care for 3D, modesetting, mutlihead, etc..
                    It's coming out on Monday
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X