Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X@FOSDEM 2009: RandR 1.3, GEM, Gallium3D, Etc

Phoronix: X@FOSDEM 2009: RandR 1.3, GEM, Gallium3D, Etc

All of the recordings from the X.Org meetings that took place during FOSDEM 2009 are now available on Phoronix. There were nine topics in total from RandR 1.3 to shader compiler optimization strategies. Novell's Matthias Hopf had explained RandR 1.3 with all of the work involved in this update to the Resize and Rotate extension for the X Server that now has panning support and other new-found capabilities...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thank you for posting a link to the vids!

Finally Phoronix acknowledged that not everyone likes flash.

It still required a view of the source at blip.tv to get the mpg version, as it has a different filename. But that is their problem, not Phoronix's.

Comment

Just out of curiosity :

Was there a topic at the FOSDEM about the future organization and development of Xorg?

I think it's great to here that so many things happen actually in the OpenSource development, even with support ( more or less ) from the big organizations, but except for features, pretty less is done in my humble opinion...

Everybody is working hard on the features, but there are so less people that the rest of the Xorg part is pretty much inactive

Are there any comments to this topic at the FOSDEM or am I totally wrong?

Comment

Ya I may have complained about flash in the past, but I do appreciate Phoronix working to make these recordings easily available.

Comment

So do they all have understandable audio now? The ones posted earlier all tend to be way too quiet, or have super annoying audio glitches.

Comment

Originally posted by DragonsTear View Post
            Was there a topic at the FOSDEM about the future organization and development of Xorg?
            Don't think so; that kind of discussion normally happens more at the XDC/XDS conferences which are organized by x.org.

Originally posted by DragonsTear View Post
            I think it's great to here that so many things happen actually in the OpenSource development, even with support ( more or less ) from the big organizations, but except for features, pretty less is done in my humble opinion... Everybody is working hard on the features, but there are so less people that the rest of the Xorg part is pretty much inactive
            Right now I think the feeling is that the features being worked on right now are so important for the future of "the Linux Desktop" that they really *should* be the priority for a few more months, ie it's not just developers being distracted by shiny things. Once kernel modesetting, RandR1.3, DRI2, GEM (with or without TTM underpinnings) and RDR are all in place, I expect that the longer term discussion and planning will ramp up again.

There does seem to be some important work happening on the X input side as well, although I'm not really up on the details.
            Test signature

Comment

The good news, however, is that the audio can be easily cleaned up through Audacity.
              You can't. I tried before with similar files, either with Audacity or with professional programs (not any better actually). Denoise filters and the like can't magically clean the files, contrary to the kind of knowledge that comes from watching too much spy movies. You can, with hours of manual efforts, clean up a small part of a recording, but that's a painful process that would take ages on files as long as those. Noise removal filters mess up the audio at least as much as they "remove" the noise, which means for a noise as bad as the one on the videos, you'll create too much mess for the audio to get better.

Bottom line is, the only way to get decent audio is to get a decent audio at recording time - plugging directly to the sound system is great when the speakers have microphones, or at least putting a micro close to the speaker (or if there's no other way, something like an "mp3" recorder, provided you choose a good position).

I'd love to be able to listen to these talks though.

Comment

Bottom line seems to be that Michael was getting decent audio when he checked it, but the adapter was crapping out randomly during the sessions and the problems weren't noticed until after the sessions had finished.

You can listen to the talks (I've listened to about half so far), but (a) you need a fast hand on the volume control, and (b) you need to use your imagination to fill in the gaps where the noise overwhelms the speaker's voice
                Last edited by bridgman; 14 February 2009, 07:33 PM.
                Test signature

Comment

Yes, but non-native speakers have a harder time

As for Michael, it's ok, first times are always like that, you need to learn the hard way

Best setup :
                  * a sound recorder with line-in, a sound cable with different Jack sizes for when you can convince the sono to plug it in;
                  * a mic, a preamp and a sound recorder (with plenty of spare batteries) for the other cases. Preferably a sound recorder with internal mic too for the times the connection with the mike is bad.

Never trust cameras for sound recording...

Comment

I think this was a netbook with a microphone
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X