Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 9.04 Alpha 6 Released

Phoronix: Ubuntu 9.04 Alpha 6 Released

We are just a little more than a month away until Ubuntu 9.04 (the Jaunty Jackalope) will be released. With the release getting near, Canonical has today put forth the final alpha release of Jaunty...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

These Ubuntu release cycles are just to short. I think they should do like Open Suse and go to 8 month releases. Based on past releases two months could by a lot, that way there isn't 20 to fifty upates two weeks after the initial release.

I mean whats the hurry anyway. If people want the bleeding edge stuff that bad they can always down load and install what is the current bleading edge alpha or beta release.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCloud View Post
      These Ubuntu release cycles are just to short. I think they should do like Open Suse and go to 8 month releases. Based on past releases two months could by a lot, that way there isn't 20 to fifty upates two weeks after the initial release.

I mean whats the hurry anyway. If people want the bleeding edge stuff that bad they can always down load and install what is the current bleading edge alpha or beta release.
      Eight months is a long time I can't wait to install stable 9.04 right now. I can stand eight months cycle when there will be updates for some packages like graphic drivers, common apps, X etc. (I know it's not rolling distro, but discrete updates shouldn't brake anything).

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCloud View Post

Nobody's forcing you to take the upgrade. 8.10 will be continue to get support for some time. Enable backports and that should keep you current on drivers and kernel updates.

Comment

DarkCloud,

I've been using Jaunty Alpha 6 and it's pretty nice. 6 Months goes by very quickly. Sooner than later the final version will come out. Ubuntu gives you 18 months of support on non LTS so you should be fine. 10.04 will be the next LTS release and then you get an even longer lifespan. Infact, I just installed 57 updates on this machine right here. Also Ubuntu has a real slick way of updating from the repo's. You do have to manually update your 3rd party ones but it's nice.

Comment

Working...
          X