Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unreleased ATI Catalyst Driver Appears In Ubuntu

Phoronix: Unreleased ATI Catalyst Driver Appears In Ubuntu

Last year when Ubuntu 8.10 was released it had shipped with an unpublished ATI Catalyst driver since the proprietary ATI drivers available to the public were not compatible with X Server 1.5, which was used by this Ubuntu release. Now with Ubuntu 9.04 coming around the corner and the ATI Catalyst driver lacking X Server 1.6 support, we have run into a similar situation. Canonical's Bryce Harrington has pushed a new unreleased ATI Catalyst driver into the Ubuntu 9.04 repository, which is compatible with X Server 1.6...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Guess that means I can finally try out Jaunty!

Comment

My X1600 ! Sigh!

Comment

I hate these back room deals where some people get access to working code and others don't. Crap like this reminds me of the reasons I switched to Linux and Free Software in the first place. On behalf of all non-Ubuntu users, ATI can take their closed binary drivers and shove it :P

Comment

Originally posted by refugeer View Post
          My X1600 ! Sigh!
          I'm with ya man... Stinks, but at least the open source ATI driver is looking promising.

Comment

Originally posted by hubick View Post
            I hate these back room deals where some people get access to working code and others don't. Crap like this reminds me of the reasons I switched to Linux and Free Software in the first place. On behalf of all non-Ubuntu users, ATI can take their closed binary drivers and shove it :P
            Everyone has access to it of cource! You should thank Ubuntu for getting out so everyone can use it!

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              do not be surprised if it happens to "disappear" from the Jaunty repository very soon.
              I don't see any reason write that... of cource it won't disappear! Stupid conspiracy theory. :-P

Comment

Composite / KWin4 desktop effects do not work for me (blackscreen, don't crashes however), but the overall 2D performance has improved a lot for me, in gtkperf, Firefox scrolling and Qt4-apps scrolling

Comment

...since that support has been dropped beginning with Catalyst 9.3.
                  I think it is so unfair to AMD to say that it is dropped. They just moved R300-R500 support from Catalyst to open source.

So please show AMD some respect and don't say they dropped R300-R500 support!

Dropping is not supporting at all.

Comment

So since the driver for X Server 1.6 is the future Catalyst 9.4, it pretty much confirms that Catalyst 9.3 will not support X Server 1.6, making it instantly useless for all upcoming distros?

I think AMD should AT LEAST provide X Server 1.6 support for 9.3...

Comment

Working...
                    X