I just bought an nvidia card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just bought an nvidia card

I just picked up a 9800 gtx after a few years with ati/fglrx. And I am soooo happy, I have to tell someone. I've wasted countless hours getting fglrx to work before ati stopped supporting my card. I got nvidia drivers running pretty fast even in my 32bit chroot. I'm so glad I ditched ati, finally I have real 3d acceleration in linux, and I can run games in wine. To anyone sick of ati, go buy an nvidia card, it's worth it.

I have the similar experience.

If you enable Compiz, do following settings:

Enable Sync to VBlank (VSync?)

Disable detect refresh rate

Manually fill in 2x refresh rate of your screen. If your LCD has 60 Hz refresh rate, fill in 120.

Now enjoy the tear free fluid silky smooth Compiz in action! Once you done this you will never look back.

Comment

Well, my laptop has ATI. For the last 3.5 years I have muddled in ATI Linux driver hell. Now my card isn't even supported. I recently install Ubuntu 9.04 and it open source driver works for what I need, but as a customer, ATI has lost me.

For my desktop I recently bought a NVIDIA card off newegg, I popped it in installed the latest driver and forgot about it. If just works as sold.

To be fair, I've heard that ATI drivers for Windows suck too.

Comment

Originally posted by homerhomer View Post
        To be fair, I've heard that ATI drivers for Windows suck too.
        I experienced something opposite. On my GF 6800 Far Cry looked just ugly. I tried few drivers. For some games I had to install 'this' driver version for other games 'this' etc. Nvidia drivers are crap on windows.

Comment

New games require optimized drivers, thats true for all gfx cards.

Comment

Haha, same here. Purchased a 9400gt card today to put into my 780g-based htpc. Don't think I'll buy an AMD product anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by tsmithtree View Post
              To anyone sick of ati, go buy an nvidia card, it's worth it.
              Yes but don't you think it would be worthier to wait one maybe two years for ATI open source drivers to improve? They will have beautiful drivers, maybe even better than NVIDIA and I think it's worth to torture yourself one maybe two years with open source/fglrx drivers. I really do think so and i think ATI does think the same.

Comment

Well buy now and use after two years In that case you can get a second hand card two years later too...

Comment

ATI will not be up to par with NVidia any time soon (= for many years to come). The open drivers will be much slower than fglrx (ATI themselves claim that), and fglrx will not achieve the support NVidia has (think Wine).

There's no "big, bright furute" for ATI in Linux. They will make their drivers suck less, that's almost sure, but "sucking less" is not a synonym for "awesome"; on Linux, that's an NVidia-only feature.

Comment

Originally posted by NSLW View Post
                    Yes but don't you think it would be worthier to wait one maybe two years for ATI open source drivers to improve? They will have beautiful drivers, maybe even better than NVIDIA and I think it's worth to torture yourself one maybe two years with open source/fglrx drivers. I really do think so and i think ATI does think the same.
                    i cant say im sure but if history is any indication; his card will be heavily obsolete by then.

as far as drivers go. nvidia used to suck and ATI rocked hard (i am speaking for windows). Seems the tides have turned. I think ATI has realized now that linux users on average have a much higher turnover rate when it comes to hardware. Not only that but if all they need to do is make a decent driver for hardware they would be selling anyway they would have higher profits (even if only a little).

Im not saying driver creation is easy but its certainly worth alot more then ati has valued it at recently.

Comment

Working...
                    X