Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XBMC 9.04 w/ VDPAU, Updated Codecs, Etc

Phoronix: XBMC 9.04 w/ VDPAU, Updated Codecs, Etc

The XBMC media player (formerly known as X-Box Media Center) has reached a new milestone with its 9.04 "Babylon" release. This updated open-source media player integrates VDPAU support for offloading video decoding to supported NVIDIA GPUs (as our benchmarks show it improved HD video playback), UPnP MediaServer compliant with DLNA standard, PulseAudio sound server support, there are new karaoke features, and numerous other options have been added in XBMC 9.04.XBMC has also upgraded against the latest FFmpeg code-base to provide support for several new codecs too...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Very cool. The UI blows mythtv out of the water... as soon as PVR functionality is added (or a functional mythtv client) I am jumping ship.

Comment

D-BUS abilities

Anyone know what the D-BUS server provides? I wasn't able to find a spec in 5 mins of browsing the unfamiliar site. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by calica View Post
        Anyone know what the D-BUS server provides? I wasn't able to find a spec in 5 mins of browsing the unfamiliar site. Thanks.
        Hi!
        Basically it's a MPRIS-interface so you can i.e tell XBMC to play, stop and such via dbus through a standardised syntax.

So it should need minimal additions to work with i.e music-applet

Here is the patch for more information on how to use it http://xbmc.org/trac/ticket/6076

I'll try to add some infomation to the xbmc wiki asap about it.

Comment

Originally posted by calica View Post
          It's not documented yet, (I have asked the developer of it to add ducumentation of it to XBMC Online Manual wiki here), however this is what he sais; the D-Bus server is "limited" but it supports http://wiki.xmms2.xmms.se/wiki/Media_Player_Interfaces (MPRIS) interface which is somewhat standardized.

http://xbmc.org/trac/ticket/6076 here is the ticket for the server, it shows the functionality.

It can do more or less same as our Event Server but this interface is standard on linux so a program that controls i.e. VLC through this interface could quite easily control XBMC as well.

For documentation on the actual commands to control XBMC can be found here:
          Kodi is a free media player that is designed to look great on your big screen TV but is just as at home on a small screen.

and here:
          Kodi is a free media player that is designed to look great on your big screen TV but is just as at home on a small screen.

Note! If you want support/help with XBMC then you should post in the XBMC Community Forum over at http://xbmc.org (and not here at phoronix.com)

PS! If you are wondering what XBMC's EventServer is then you can read about it here:

Last edited by Gamester17; 07 May 2009, 04:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wulfsdale View Post
            Very cool. The UI blows mythtv out of the water... as soon as PVR functionality is added (or a functional mythtv client) I am jumping ship.
            I'm also waiting for the fully functional PVR functions. In the mean whileI use a switch script to Use XBMC and MythTV (stripped from all plugins). As far as I know there are three very interesting developments on this:

1) out-of-the-box support for MythTV

"out-of-the-box" for MythTV, doesn't yet support scheduling and some other important functions

2) MythBox script
            MythBox home - http://code.google.com/p/mythbox/
            MythBox Thread - http://xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=43115
            The XBMC MythBox script/plugin is a MythTV frontend for XBMC. Less stable than native support, but does has more features like scheduling recordings.

3) out-of-the-box support for VDR

VDR support is also implemented in XBMC. Currently you can choose to add it as patch to the latest XBMC version or download the trunk version of XBMC.

I have all three options installed on my system and the VDR support is currently the most stable and alsmost complete (there are two developers working on completing it). But I've read that both MythTV and VDR support will be completed soon... good times .

Although I like MythTV and put a lot of effort in making patches for it, i'm now considering VDR. This because i'm noticing its lighter on my system and has better DVB-C (cable) and DVB-S (sattelite) support. Also the channel switching is faster (in mythtv it takes a few seconds).

Comment

Originally posted by Gamester17 View Post
              Note! If you want support/help with XBMC then you should post in the XBMC Community Forum over at http://xbmc.org (and not here at phoronix.com)
              Thanks for the perfect response. That post is the reason I read /. in the 90s (and haven't since! ;-) )

I really didn't want support or help. I was merely curious and frankly, my level of curiosity was no where near the level to register at another forum. Besides, I'm sure the info is useful to other readers here.

Thanks again!

Comment

One frontend to control them all!

Originally posted by tmpdir View Post
                I'm also waiting for the fully functional PVR functions. In the mean whileI use a switch script to Use XBMC and MythTV (stripped from all plugins). As far as I know there are three very interesting developments on this
                There is one much bigger project with a larger goal for this, see:

and

Unified PVR front-end (DVR/HTPC client GUI with EPG) and a plugin API for back-ends.

The plan is that this will go into XBMC mainline SVN before the end of this year, we have several developers working on this, with many other developers waiting for the API to be ready for implementing third-party addons.

The vision of Team-XBMC is to create the best cross-platform media center software there is, XBMC should always be the de facto standard that other media center applications are measured against, whether they are based on commercial or free open source software. XBMC should in the future be able to act as a front-end for all popular TV recoding software and use them as back-ends in a server-client configuration with XBMC Media Center being the only user interface and the third-party TV recoding software running in the background as a hidded service that the end-user do not need to worry about.

Last edited by Gamester17; 07 May 2009, 04:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gamester17 View Post
                  There is one much bigger project with a larger goal for this
                  Hey Gamester (by any chance the same gamester that is projectmanager of XBMC?),

I knew about these projects. In my understanding is the first link I gave a implementation of this for mythtv.

The third link I gave is a project from alwin who has now SVN access and is working to make this part of the universal solution with alcoheca. So I asume where basicly talking about the same thing

Comment

Originally posted by tmpdir View Post
                    by any chance the same gamester that is projectmanager of XBMC?
                    Yes, ...I too follow phoronix.com for my daily dose of Linux news

Comment

Working...
                    X