Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Linux VGA Arbiter Has Been Revived

Phoronix: The Linux VGA Arbiter Has Been Revived

Tiago Vignatti has announced he has revived work on the VGA Arbiter for Linux and will be attempting to push this code upstream in the Linux kernel, just four years after this arbitration code was first hashed out. The VGA Arbiter seeks to address an old problem where having multiple graphics cards that use the the legacy VGA interface with multiple X Servers could cause havoc with the same command being sent to both graphics cards instead of just to the intended adapter...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yes, I was planning to add a second R700 to my system, and was totally planning on running them in VGA mode Thanks for that fix, OSS really rules !

(ok, this was ironic, did I miss something ? even considering merging this stuff would be a waste of time)

Comment

There's still a lot of really old hardware out there, being used.

Comment

Why the irony? I run my 1920x1200 monitors via VGA. There's no particular advantage to using an HDMI port, unless you actually want the restrictions that come with it. Just because it's digital doesn't make it inherently better on a three foot cable.

Comment

Forgive me if I'm not correctly understanding the purpose of this but does this potentially mean switchable graphics may be closer to being supported on Linux? Where you can switch between an integrated and a discrete graphics card in the system at runtime?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by macemoneta View Post
            Why the irony? I run my 1920x1200 monitors via VGA. There's no particular advantage to using an HDMI port, unless you actually want the restrictions that come with it. Just because it's digital doesn't make it inherently better on a three foot cable.
            You confused VGA mode with the connector used,which is DSUB.

Comment

Originally posted by szczerb View Post
              You confused VGA mode with the connector used,which is DSUB.
              Ah, multiple definitions of "VGA interface".

Comment

Working...
              X