Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD's RS880 / 785G Gains Open-Source Acceleration

Phoronix: AMD's RS880 / 785G Gains Open-Source Acceleration

Back in March we shared that the open-source ATI driver had gained support for the unreleased ATI RS880 IGP. Well, the RS880 ended up being turned into the 785G due to some problems on AMD's side, but today this new, much more powerful IGP has launched...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Alex has also submitted a drm patch to the dri-devel mailing list. I suspect that this patch will also be required for rs880/785G support :

Test signature

Comment

hell yeah!
      launch day oss support

Comment

Amazing how much work that is being commited these days.

In just 2 weeks, have we got KMS and Compiz for R600+R700, and 2D for an unreleased IGP.

Comment

wait, in the article claim this acceleration is in xf86-video-ati for 780G ?

isn't this suppoesd to be in radeonhd ?

Comment

Reading the many reviews at AMDzone.com

I tend to wonder, why the South bridge isn't integrated in the North bridge? Wouldn't that be cheaper?

Comment

Originally posted by b4283 View Post
              wait, in the article claim this acceleration is in xf86-video-ati for 780G ?

isn't this suppoesd to be in radeonhd ?
              Now, what makes you say that? They both are supposed to support all the newest (radeon) cards.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                Now, what makes you say that? They both are supposed to support all the newest (radeon) cards.
                yeah, i know that. but sometimes i'm confused by articles that convince me -ati has better support than -radeonhd.

i've used both on my 780G, but didn't find any differences though. (maybe in the Xv accelerations?)

Comment

We weren't sure when the 785G was going to launch. I noticed the announcement this morning so Alex pushed out what he had ready, which was radeon. The radeonhd driver should need pretty much the same changes.

Louise, as I understand it if you put a typical wide-bus Northbridge and Southbridge in the same package the pin count gets too high to be practical. There are very few connections between NB and SB, so you don't save much in pins by combining them.

There also used to be a requirement for different processes to handle the more analog-y functions on SB, not sure if that is still a factor.
                  Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    Louise, as I understand it if you put a typical wide-bus Northbridge and Southbridge in the same package the pin count gets too high to be practical. There are very few connections between NB and SB, so you don't save much in pins by combining them.

There also used to be a requirement for different processes to handle the more analog-y functions on SB, not sure if that is still a factor.
                    I had no idea that the pin count also were an issue for chipsets...

Let's hope that "16 cores is enough for anyone" That's at least what I have read is the max possible CPU cores.

Maybe we will see pins sticking out of the sides that goes directly into the ram modules? 4 sides => 4 memory banks.

I read that using optics (lasers) instead of electrical pins are 15-20 years out in the future, as mirrors that are able to change state can only operate at MHz right now.

Using lasers inside a CPU would come sooner. The problem here was the size of the emitters, where they are measured in microns.

Comment

Working...
                    X