How To Open A Beer With A Motherboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Open A Beer With A Motherboard

When Intel launched their LGA-775 socket back in 2004, little did they know the possibilities that this new socket design would offer. As I discovered today, it's quite a versatile socket. Why you may ask? Well what I have to show today may very well be one of the nerdiest ways to open a beer, while at the same time could be one of the most expensive bottle openers. Want to find out how? Keep reading!

As would be expected, the first step in opening a beer would be to grab the brew. For my purposes I used an Oberon. This LGA-opening strategy has only been tested with domestic products. As imports are sealed extremely tight it's more likely that you'll break the PCB before anything else...

With using an LGA-775 motherboard, the concept is to use the corner of the CPU socket to remove the cap. While shown today with an LGA-775 motherboard, this process can easily be adopted to any LGA motherboard (e.g. LGA-771 and LGA-1207).

Simply set the bottle on a flat surface, and use the LGA retention frame on the motherboard to catch the corner of the bottle cap, followed by pulling the motherboard up in an angular fashion. Opening a beer bottle with a motherboard socket isn't an easy process but with a bit of work it can be accomplished. Nor am I trying to portray this process as easy, as I had went through several tries (and motherboards) before developing a working model. This opening strategy was basically sparked out of curiosity.

As things are a bit hard to explain for this, a video have been recorded of the opening process. If you try it out, be sure to report back!

Ogg Theora (6.1MB) Download

(More videos from various angles, formats, etc... to come soon)

This may be an innovative way to open your drink, but it certainly comes as a costly opener. But if you're looking for a flashy way to break open that beer at a LAN party, there aren't many ways better than this. Happy drinking!

I nor Phoronix Networks will hold responsibility if you decide to attempt such a bottle opening. Performing these steps to open your brew will kill the motherboard, etc... Open at your own risk!!!

awesome, perfect usage!

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick View Post
      awesome, perfect usage!
      There are some other hardware methods as well, and we will likely share those paths soon
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Either way, I'm satisfied that it's a worthwhile purchase.

Comment

That took too long, you need more practice

Comment

Originally posted by Radon View Post
            That took too long, you need more practice
            It wasn't the easiest of tasks, but American beer is sealed tighter than Zywiec, Lech, Tyskie, etc...

Comment

Thread resurrection...

Next week during IDF in San Francisco we'll (finally) be completing our "How To
              Open A Beer With A Computer" article as we use everything from a graphics card to motherboard to processor to RAM to modems and anything in between

If all goes well, the article should be out next Saturday.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                Thread resurrection...

Next week during IDF in San Francisco we'll (finally) be completing our "How To
                Open A Beer With A Computer" article as we use everything from a graphics card to motherboard to processor to RAM to modems and anything in between

If all goes well, the article should be out next Saturday.
                Hahaha.. You can do it with a mouse too, if you have a logitech G5 anyway. I haven't tried it but i'm sure it would work. What about a keyboard? I don't know about that one, that would be tough. Unless you took the spacebar off and used it as one.

You could do it with a powersupply too if you used the vents. What would be really challanging though? How about a stick of ram. With no heatsinks on it. I bet you'd break the stick of ram in half before you open that beer.

Comment

Originally posted by Malikith View Post
                  Hahaha.. You can do it with a mouse too, if you have a logitech G5 anyway. I haven't tried it but i'm sure it would work. What about a keyboard? I don't know about that one, that would be tough. Unless you took the spacebar off and used it as one.

You could do it with a powersupply too if you used the vents. What would be really challanging though? How about a stick of ram. With no heatsinks on it. I bet you'd break the stick of ram in half before you open that beer.
                  I wouldn't attempt a bottle of anything being opened with a RAM stick without it having heat spreaders on it as well. Fiberglass is strong, but not THAT strong.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                    I wouldn't attempt a bottle of anything being opened with a RAM stick without it having heat spreaders on it as well. Fiberglass is strong, but not THAT strong.
                    Yep, I think it can be done, but if that cap on the bottle is on there real good, I think that ram is done for.

Comment

Working...
                    X