Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compiz 0.8.4 Released With New Plug-Ins, Etc

Phoronix: Compiz 0.8.4 Released With New Plug-Ins, Etc

Compiz 0.9 still isn't out yet (though it should be coming soon) with its Nomad and Compiz++ integration and Compiz Fusion dropping, but in the meantime Compiz 0.8.4 has been pushed out this afternoon. Compiz 0.8.4 brings two new plug-ins, many bug fixes, stability improvements, and various KDE4 improvements. Improved between KDE4 and Compiz is window thumbnails are now supported in Plasma window tool-tips, the KDE4 window decorator has been ported to KDE 4.3, and a new Compiz configuration back-end for KDE4...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I just wonder if the pager issue has been fixed? It really annoys me.

I like using Compiz on KDE4, because it's at least twice as fast as KWin's composition support.

Comment

Originally posted by DoDoENT View Post
      I like using Compiz on KDE4, because it's at least twice as fast as KWin's composition support.
      Really? I find the opposite. What's your graphics card/driver?

Comment

Originally posted by krazy View Post
        Really? I find the opposite. What's your graphics card/driver?
        I have ATi Mobility Radeon X1600 with xorg-x11-drv-ati version 6.12.2-14 and KMS enabled (default Fedora 11 configuration) and kernel 2.6.30.5 (because with 2.6.30.8 suspend doesn't work).

Well, all KWin effects are sloppy and aren't smooth. On the other hand, Compiz effects are smooth and work flawlessly. I also tried running glxgears under Kwin composition, compiz composition and without composition. Without composition I get cca 1100 FPS, under compiz composition cca 1000 FPS, and cca 500 FPS under KWin composition. (Note that if I disable KMS, I get up to 1600 FPS without composition.)

On the other hand, playing video works better under Kwin effects, although it works best without any composition at all.

Comment

KWin was slower than Compiz also for me until I upgraded to kernel 2.6.31 and drv-ati 6.12.4 under Arch (I disabled KMS). Now it flies, I can use it also on my old Athlon XP 1800+ with Radeon 9500.

Comment

Working...
          X