Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The First X Server 1.8 Snapshot Released

Phoronix: The First X Server 1.8 Snapshot Released

A month ago there were proposed development changes to the X Server to utilize more feature branches in Git, a three-stage development process, and to deliver predictable time-based releases. A version of this proposal has been agreed upon by key X.Org developers and it's already being applied towards the X Server 1.8 work...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

no major features have yet to be merged for X Server 1.8
    and no big features will be merged so why increasing version number? Wasn't it better to do 1.7.1? I'm bit afraid that X server will be like commercial Nero which increases version number without need just to increase its sales rates.

Comment

i want to see X Server Input Redirection..
      It's important and will open many new doors to window management. just think you could reduce/shelf the size of windows by 75% with almost no detail loss and still use them... it would be a nice improvement to netbooks with crappy screen resolution.

lets complain so their is more push so they can to pull it easer to master. :P

Comment

Originally posted by NSLW View Post
        and no big features will be merged so why increasing version number? Wasn't it better to do 1.7.1? I'm bit afraid that X server will be like commercial Nero which increases version number without need just to increase its sales rates.
        Michael has put up a link in the article you just read regarding of the proposed changes in releasing future X Server releases. To make it short:
        1. 1.7 series has basically reached its development lifespan.
        2. If your code is large (big features, most likely), your code goes to X Server branch. Otherwise, you put it on the Git master. If the large code has been tested and good enough to go, merge with master. This way, you won't have to work on the Git master all the time and get server problems.
        3. Within three months, you should see the new big stuff merged in once they're sane enough to be in the master. In the next two months, bug-fixing. Then a month of freeze so it'll be released with X.Org's.

I'm pretty sure you'll see those fixes you just saw in 1.7.2 or something... (1.7.1 is already on RC2)

Comment

Originally posted by steverweber View Post
          i want to see X Server Input Redirection..
          It's important and will open many new doors to window management. just think you could reduce/shelf the size of windows by 75% with almost no detail loss and still use them... it would be a nice improvement to netbooks with crappy screen resolution.

lets complain so their is more push so they can to pull it easer to master. :P
          the shelf is one good thing...
          having games render at a low resolution and have the gpu resize the output.
          gives you good performance and you dont have to wait for your system resolution to change if you tab out or in since its composited.
          would be awesome

Comment

i guess it's too early to say this, but i think we can already see improvements in xserver release cycle.

i hope x devs can keep it up this way.

Comment

And still no one has fixed the dreaded back-fill patch that causes fglrx to become practically unresponsive while resizing windows. How this isn't the very top priority for AMD to fix, I'll never know.

***Waiting for the OSS drivers to mature....***

Comment

Try Fedora 12 Beta

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                And still no one has fixed the dreaded back-fill patch that causes fglrx to become practically unresponsive while resizing windows. How this isn't the very top priority for AMD to fix, I'll never know.

***Waiting for the OSS drivers to mature....***

"Fedora 12 introduces experimental 3D support for AMD Radeon HD 2400 and later graphics cards. To try it out, install the mesa-dri-drivers-experimental package."

Comment

Working...
                X