Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 9.10 Release Candidate Has Arrived

Phoronix: Ubuntu 9.10 Release Candidate Has Arrived

With one week to go until the official release of Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Koala", Canonical has announced the release candidate of this forthcoming Linux distribution update. Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Edubuntu, Ubuntu Studio, and Mythbuntu have all reached Ubuntu 9.10 RC status as well. While we have been talking about Ubuntu 9.10 for months, among the new features on the desktop side is the Ubuntu Software Center (formerly known as the Ubuntu Software Store), a brand new boot experience, a revised theme, the desktop has been updated against GNOME 2.28, and its shipping with the Linux 2.6.31 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"and its shipping" - should be "it's"

Comment

Great release of Ubuntu!

Comment

Originally posted by loonyphoenix View Post
        "and its shipping" - should be "it's"
        Remember that Kubuntu strings are always broken. They have tried to fix them %n times, but Kubuntu can't, and it always has texto que sale en otro idioma intercalado. Las translations are broken.

So, it's "its", for Kubuntu.

Comment

I use Arch, what reason do I have to change to this? Note I already have pretty much all the software available in the repositories for my distro already.

Rolling release ftw

Comment

Originally posted by Mora View Post
            I use Arch, what reason do I have to change to this? Note I already have pretty much all the software available in the repositories for my distro already.

Rolling release ftw
            Different things.
            I use Gentoo as well and don't have a need to switch to Ubuntu, but it's Ubuntu that helped me lot to bring lots of guys (and I mean it) to the Linux side and not Gentoo. Ubuntu it's our best hope to improve our market share. I know some don't care about this but I'm talking for the guys who do.

Comment

Originally posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
              Remember that Kubuntu strings are always broken. They have tried to fix them %n times, but Kubuntu can't, and it always has texto que sale en otro idioma intercalado. Las translations are broken.

So, it's "its", for Kubuntu.
              It seems they fixed translations. If for someone they're still broken post a bug report please (I did and it helped :>).

Comment

Originally posted by Mora View Post

Rolling release ftw
                I also used Arch, but I switched to Kubuntu 9.10-rc, because it has far more packages in repo (afaik more then 37k but some of them are just meta packages), starts faster (probably thanks to Upstart and Grub2), afaik it doesn't use hal, it's quite polished and you don't have to worry if something will brake after upgrade, it has Apparmor installed and configured for default. I also like rolling distros, but sometimes I prefer to be completely sure nothing will break after upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
                  Different things.
                  I use Gentoo as well and don't have a need to switch to Ubuntu, but it's Ubuntu that helped me lot to bring lots of guys (and I mean it) to the Linux side and not Gentoo. Ubuntu it's our best hope to improve our market share. I know some don't care about this but I'm talking for the guys who do.
                  I also always recommend this distro, but in Kubuntu variant

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                    I also used Arch, but I switched to Kubuntu 9.10-rc [...] sometimes I prefer to be completely sure nothing will break after upgrade.
                    Me too.

(google trends)

BLUE: "ubuntu release" (average=1.0)
                    RED: "ubuntu problem" (average=3.0)

Comment

Working...
                    X