Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MythTV 0.22 Release Approaches With RC2

Phoronix: MythTV 0.22 Release Approaches With RC2

Two weeks after the MythTV 0.22 RC1 release was made available, a second release candidate has arrived with more than 50 additional changes. Additionally, if no critical issues are discovered in MythTV 0.22 RC2, the final version of this popular free software project update will be out in roughly one week. MythTV 0.22 brings new features like VDPAU support, a new MythTV user-interface, support for the Hauppauge HD-PVR, and plenty of other changes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: MythTV 0.22 Release Approaches With RC2

Two weeks after the MythTV 0.22 RC1 release was made available, a second release candidate has arrived with more than 50 additional changes. Additionally, if no critical issues are discovered in MythTV 0.22 RC2, the final version of this popular free software project update will be out in roughly one week. MythTV 0.22 brings new features like VDPAU support, a new MythTV user-interface, support for the Hauppauge HD-PVR, and plenty of other changes...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzY1Nw

Second time in a short while that I see a mythtv article on phoronix and no responses... is it me or is mythtv not that 'populair' anymore?

edit: typo removed

Comment

MythTV users are probably too busy either watching TV or trying to fix their MythTV installation when it broke again .

Comment

actually I'm a read-only person at phoronix, but I registered so that there is no wrong impression

I'm a mythtv user that always runs on git master. So I do really appreciate the news although they are not this relevant to me.

(btw, I seldom need fixing for my myth installation on updates)

BTW: @Phoronix: Thanks for the nice site! Helped me a lot already

Comment

I'm also using mythtv on my htpc. In my case, I've just been too busy with other stuff, and my mythtv box just works for me. Once you've got mythtv working and configured, there's not much to talk about.

Get it going, and just enjoy it, but don't tinker too much, because if you break it the significant other gets upset because her shows weren't recorded.. For that reason, my mythbox won't get upgraded to Karmic until possibly this Tuesday, AFTER I verify that my tuner-card's drivers work in 2.6.31 (they won't compile in 2.6.32).

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
            I'm also using mythtv on my htpc. In my case, I've just been too busy with other stuff, and my mythtv box just works for me. Once you've got mythtv working and configured, there's not much to talk about.
            The hard part is configuration. I wish it would just work automatically with what it could detect, and in general try to make it a more user friendly experience, because right now I think the experiences of some of the other DVR programs are easier? I just know that their configuration system of raking new users through a billion settings that they have no idea what in the hell do isn't the best way to go about doing it. A system that guides you through things to make sure it is all working at every step would be better.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
              Get it going, and just enjoy it, but don't tinker too much, because if you break it the significant other gets upset because her shows weren't recorded.. For that reason, my mythbox won't get upgraded to Karmic until possibly this Tuesday, AFTER I verify that my tuner-card's drivers work in 2.6.31 (they won't compile in 2.6.32).

Yup, exactly. MythTV backend with lots of DVB cards plus a couple of diskless ITX systems (just upgraded one to an Atom/ION board ) running minimyth & booting from the master Myth server - it all works really well.

The difference between Myth and most other bits of software is that it is really the only home system that gets upgraded and modified with the same care and trepidation as business critical production servers in industry.
              Every other bit of computing is secondary and won't cause aggro if they turn into steaming piles of melted slag, buit Myth needs five nines uptime at home

Comment

If you want a mostly configure free experience, go with Mythbuntu.
                It handles all the database stuff & and non-user facing setup, so all you have to do is provide disks (if wanted), a source of guide data, any video capture cards (hopefully not framegrabber cards), and point your cards to a signal source (coax, composite, etc).
                They also have a nice repo setup for the -fixes tree, plus a trunk repo if you'd like to follow that instead.

If you're looking for a pure media server, you may be better served with one of the other media center options, XBMC to name one. Myth does a lot of things well, but it's general focus is recording & playback of TV.

Comment

Working...
                X