Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moblin & Maemo Make Love: Out Comes MeeGo

Phoronix: Moblin & Maemo Make Love: Out Comes MeeGo

Over the weekend we started hearing from PR folks that there would be a joint Intel and Nokia news announcement on Monday that would be of interest to us, and today we found out that's indeed the case. The Mobile World Conference is currently taking place in Spain with all sorts of mobile platform announcements coming out for both Microsoft and Linux, but this one announcement today is that Intel and Nokia are joining forces on the mobile front by marrying their platforms together, Moblin and Maemo, respectively...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

All I can say is. WELL DUH!!!

Comment

And I thought the iPad had a bad name...

Comment

I want one now!

Comment

cool, two of my favorites. QT and RPM

Comment

Does anyone else think it sounds like Mister Magoo?

I wonder if Intel siding with Nokia has anything to do with Nokia's spat with Apple? Especially after Apple chose arm for it's new iToy rather than using the blessed Atom

I'm a big fan of Qt in general however so it'll be interesting to see where this goes

Comment

That's the begining of Maemo's end I suppose?

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
                That's the begining of Maemo's end I suppose?
                I'm not convinced. If they can motivate the community then moblin will have all the existing Qt KDE & Amarok developers to make mobile interfaces for their software.

Look at the wonderful work Nokia have put into Koffice to make it compatible with Maemo

Plus competition is good. Especially serious competition. Nokia mean business. (take a look at IE because of FireFox or FireFox because of Chrome). Even if the project fails it will hopefully make Android and other open platforms better

Comment

Competition is good, but there is not such a thing between the same company's products.
                  What's the reason for a company to invest in it's two separate Linux mobile solutions?

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
                    Competition is good, but there is not such a thing between the same company's products.
                    What's the reason for a company to invest in it's two separate Linux mobile solutions?
                    As far as I'm aware Nokia haven't signed up to use Google Android and have shown no intention of doing so

There's a lot on Nokia phones out there. Especially if they can get an OS running on the basic ones using Qt

I guess it will directly compete with Android & WinMo and encourage others to join them

Comment

Working...
                    X