Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu One Music Store Pushed In Rhythmbox

Phoronix: Ubuntu One Music Store Pushed In Rhythmbox

One of the features that was talked about and proposed a few months back was a music store for Ubuntu where one could easily purchase music and somewhat fits in with Canonical's plans for the Ubuntu Software Store (or the "Ubuntu Software Center" as it's now called). Plans were laid out for an Ubuntu One Music Store and the first packages to support this in Ubuntu 10.04 LTS are now available. The Lucid specifications for the Ubuntu One Music Store on the Ubuntu Wiki mention "The Lucid music store project aims to deliver the ability to purchase music from within a desktop music player...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

is canonical going commercial?
    as if there werent enough music stores around. i also fear that this might be some kind of beginning of spying on the hard disk for data. what the hell is going on here?
    same "wtf" applies for the upper taskbar, where you need to click up to three times to open your bloody rhythmbox, WHICH IS NOT HANDY!!!
    (minimum 2 clicks)
    and thats to unify the systray, i mean im no developer, yet still a user and for me its like cutting ppls arms, legs and heads for symmerty and simplicity.
    are they going to have an own package for every program, that uses a tray icon, just to fit into this mad plan?
    there are some thing going on that makes hard for me to trust in canonical

well i like the boot time though^^
    (although pressing enter will cause a sys crash for me (nv-driver?))

Comment

Originally posted by jakubo View Post
      is canonical going commercial?
      I certainly hope so. They're a for profit company so they better figure out how to make money.

Comment

Originally posted by msebast View Post
        I certainly hope so. They're a for profit company so they better figure out how to make money.
        Well offering a mediocre service isn't the way to go...

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
          By mediocre you mean the second best online music store? =/

Comment

Mr Negative

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
            How can you call a service that hasn't been released yet and therefore one that you have not tried mediocre?

Comment

Originally posted by jakubo View Post
              i also fear that this might be some kind of beginning of spying on the hard disk for data. what the hell is going on here?
              Lol, how did you come up with that one?

And if it's based on the Amazon music store it isn't really creating another music store, just making it a lot simpler to access an existing one.

Comment

i agree with the paranoid person.

gnome activity journal and gnome zeitgeist would be very easy for someone to use to track you!

does anyone not see that? please no flaming and crap. wait until i post a new thread about it. let's keep this one on track.

i personally think this is a bad move, i'm all for freindly linux companies, but canonical is trying to monopolize to heavily for my liking.

Comment

I would hope they could integrate as many music stores as possible- maybe like Amarok's handling of Jamendo & Magnatunes? (Which are a slightly different case than a straight music store).

Comment

Originally posted by Phoronix
                    It is clear though from this code that the audio formats will be MP3 and not Ogg or any other free codecs, which is sure to upset some users.
                    Since you aknowledge that, at least, I'm pretty curious to see what audio format you'll choose the next time... Really curious...

Comment

Working...
                    X