Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xf86-video-intel 2.11 Release Candidate

Phoronix: xf86-video-intel 2.11 Release Candidate

Intel's quarterly Linux graphics driver update is due out in about one month so preparations for this have gotten underway with the first release candidate now being available. The xf86-video-intel 2.11.0 RC1 (v2.10.901) driver boasts support for the latest DRI2 changes (particularly the KMS page-flipping ioctl and new swap events) and many bug fixes. The xf86-video-intel 2.11 RC1 release announcement with its mostly-bug-fixes change-log can be read on the intel-gfx mailing list...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

With Ubuntu Lucid do I need to do anything to enable these new features / DRI2? Or are they the default?

Comment

Originally posted by jlward4th View Post
      With Ubuntu Lucid do I need to do anything to enable these new features / DRI2? Or are they the default?
      I am wondering the same. For one thing, the kernel is one behind, so I am guessing one would need the 2.6.33 latest mainline kernel, available here:

As for the driver, I am testing Lucid and they seem to be at 2.9.1 right now, and they already are in Feature freeze, so I'd guess it's not very likely for 2.11.0 to go in (though I could be wrong).

Comment

Originally posted by mendieta View Post
        so I am guessing one would need the 2.6.33
        Maybe even 2.6.34? xf86-video-intel-2.10 already needs 2.6.33
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
          Maybe even 2.6.34? xf86-video-intel-2.10 already needs 2.6.33
          Nonsense. http://intellinuxgraphics.org/2009Q4.html

Comment

Originally posted by bugmenot View Post
            Not out of the box:

"* Video overlay support with KMS. This currently requires Linux 2.6.33, but a backport to 2.6.32 is available here.
            mesa 7.7"

So you either need to apply the backport to 2.6.32, or revert that feature from the ddx.

Comment

Originally posted by whizse View Post
              Not out of the box:

"* Video overlay support with KMS. This currently requires Linux 2.6.33, but a backport to 2.6.32 is available here.
              mesa 7.7"

So you either need to apply the backport to 2.6.32, or revert that feature from the ddx.
              Or you can just use textured video...

Comment

Can we expect useful (i.e. H.264) video decode acceleration any soon? It's pretty ridiculous that this *still* doesn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by bugmenot View Post
                  Or you can just use textured video...
                  You won't be able to build the driver without reverting or backporting.

Comment

Working...
                  X