Nexuiz re-make on the 360

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nexuiz re-make on the 360

Hi, I came across this link from reddit: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/107/1073381p1.html

Independent developer and publisher, IllFonic, announced today its plans to launch the futuristic arena first-person shooter Nexuiz across downloadable console platforms in 2010. Originally developed by Alientrap Software as a free open source shooter in 2005 for the PC, Nexuiz has been downloaded by over 4 million unique users. IllFonic's remake of Nexuiz for console gamers features a new Victorian influenced art style that is simultaneously futuristic and sophisticated.

Can't say that I can picture Nexuiz in a "Victorian" flavor. I wonder how the game mechanics will fare on console control schemes.

Comment

Steampunk, I guess. Maybe complicated control schemes will be part of the game design
      Test signature

Comment

Hope the Nexuiz devs get a big cut.

Comment

Comment

The level shots make me think Warsow, and the character models scream WoW. Can't say I find the art appealing. Oh well, it's going to be on a console, so it has to be shinny for the kids . Hopefully the core game mechanics are not altered much. Not that I would play it, but for the sake for the original game's reputation it better not give the wrong impression.

Comment

The original Nexuiz is under the GPL, so they can't just port it without also distributing the source to all the console players, so are they planning on doing a rewrite from scratch?

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                Hope the Nexuiz devs get a big cut.

If the game is successful there will be royalty in the way of percentage of the game's profits once it is sold. Since Nexuiz is a community driven project Alientrap will be open with the royalty rates, these profits will help to maintain and develop Nexuiz along with Alientrap's projects in the future. Terms of the agreement are confidential but Alientrap will be open to it's developers on the splits the company receives.

Comment

Nexuiz

This post show a different vision:

Comment

While this is sad, I think they make a very important point (at http://lgn.linux-hardcore.com/the-case-of-nexuiz/):

WHAT HAPPENS TO THE ENGINE AND GAME DATA?

Nothing. Yes, that’s right.

Why nothing? You have to understand how licensing works.

A person (or other legal entity, such as a company) creates something (code, artwork, etc.) In most countries, the creator automatically becomes the copyright holder. You can also aquire the copyright from the holder (presumably that’s what Illfonic did).

The creator has full rights to the stuff they created, and other people have none. So, in order for other people to be able to do anything with that stuff, the creator gives them a license which allows them to do certain things.

The creator can give how many licenses he wants, and they can be different licenses for different people.

In this case, Alien Trap and ID Software already gave the world at large the Dark Places engine under the GPL license. Then they also issued another license (or transferred copyright ownership altogether, which would mean they stop being the holders) to Illfonic.

But the interesting thing is that copies of the stuff that was already distributed under GPL cannot be “recalled”. You cannot go back and say that you want all those copies destroyed, returned, require people to stop using them or developing them etc. Same goes for the game data.

Basically, there’s absolutely nothing anybody can do to stop the community from picking up from the last official release of Dark Engines and the release of the game data and keep on going.

Look at it like this. Nexuiz, as you all know and love it, is now twins. One brother goes to live with uncle Illfonic and one stays at home. They both start from the same place. They are identical. But they will evolve in different ways in the future. How — that depends on you, the community, vs Illfonic. Each party will take their twin in a different direction.

You haven’t lost anything. Illfonic cannot take anything from you. If their game becomes a success and yours dissapears it will be mainly because of what you do, not about what they do. Here’s hoping they both will do great.

Yet, the community will need to wait until equally competent developers arrive, for progress to proceed.

Still, thanks for the development so far!

Comment

Working...
                    X