Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The R300 GLSL Compiler Improvements Are Coming

Phoronix: The R300 GLSL Compiler Improvements Are Coming

As we talked about back in April, there are five summer X/Mesa projects as part of Google's Summer of Code. One of these projects is to improve the GLSL (GL Shading Language) compiler for the ATI R300 class graphics processors and while the summer has just begun, there is already some work emerging...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

FWIW

"Loops that have an unknown number of iterations are unrolled as many
    times as possible without going over the instruction limit for the
    shader program."

Comment

How tough to do? Any little bit if improvement is better. Do the unlooped instructions run in parallel? or only the feeding the pipeline?

Comment

Good news. But...

Tom Stellard is the student developer working on the R300 GLSL improvements, which should benefit many include with the ATI Gallium3D stack for this older hardware architecture. Tom wrote to the Mesa development list a few days back to the Mesa development list that he's published a branch of Mesa that now supports loop unrolling for R300 ASICs that don't natively support the unrolling of loops.
        Were you in a hurry, Michael?

Comment

R300? Isn't that, you know, laughable?

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
            i don't know. i'm still using my r500 card, and it shares the 3d code with r300. so i appreciate any related mesa developments.

Comment

I think it would be better to focus on the newer parts... how many people still actually have those parts and are worried about getting peak performance out of them?

Comment

I am. I can use all the performance I can get.

Comment

1) Many people are quite upset that r500-class hardware is not supported by Catalyst anymore, and they are complaining about the support. So yeah, they are worried about performance, and are very vocal about it.

2) r600+ already have decent GLSL

3) People hack on the things they want to hack. This is mostly free software developers nowadays, and a Google student in this case. It's quite possible that this particular guy can make a decent job of the GLSL stuff for r300, but couldn't do Evergreen EXA support or hack OpenGL 3+ features into Mesa, or something else.

But yeah, I'm also happy about all the improvements for newer hardware.

Comment

And I'm still using my two R3xx cards! and I'll still use them for few years more.

Comment

Working...
                    X