Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.Org Server 1.8.2 Officially Released

Phoronix: X.Org Server 1.8.2 Officially Released

Peter Hutterer has announced the official release of X.Org Server 1.8.2, after it has went through two release candidates over the past month. No new changes have been introduced since X.Org Server 1.8.2 RC2 and since the release of X.Org Server 1.8.1 in mid-May it just carries more bug-fixes, a couple DRI2 updates, and addresses other maintenance items...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What's the point in releasing 1.8 for just a month ?
    It takes long for each distro to integrate and test. For just a month, everyone should wait 1.9, shoudln't they ?

It's sure that I'm missing some step, but which one ?

Comment

Phoronix is watched by the X.org guys/girls; I had not seen this before (http://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-dev.../002330.html):
      Phoronix: Yes, we're really trying this time.

Gin: Tonic.
      LOL!

Hope the focus remains despite any beverages

Comment

Originally posted by Fixxer_Linux View Post
        What's the point in releasing 1.8 for just a month ?
        It takes long for each distro to integrate and test. For just a month, everyone should wait 1.9, shoudln't they ?

It's sure that I'm missing some step, but which one ?
        Lots of distros have long term support for older versions still using xserver 1.8.x that need bug fixes. Additionally, not all distros will upgrade to the latest xserver in their next version depending on their release schedules.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
          Lots of distros have long term support for older versions still using xserver 1.8.x that need bug fixes. Additionally, not all distros will upgrade to the latest xserver in their next version depending on their release schedules.
          Thanks for that answer ! When said, it's seems obvious. Sorry for that question, I could have think about it by myself...

Comment

for example on Gentoo it's most likely that the last bugfix release of an X-server version will become the new stable one for the distri.

so in about time like when 1.9 is out 1.8.2 will be released as stable. (when no serious bugs remain)

Comment

Working...
            X