Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LLVMpipe & Compiz 0.9 Still Don't Play Along

Phoronix: LLVMpipe & Compiz 0.9 Still Don't Play Along

LLVMpipe is an especially interesting Gallium3D driver since it allows accelerating the state trackers atop any modern CPU, but for any close to decent level of performance when using OpenGL you need a hefty multi-core CPU (here's some LLVMpipe benchmarks just from last week) that supports the latest SSE4 instructions as well. While some OpenGL games will run with LLVMpipe and the performance of this driver that leverages the Low-Level Virtual Machine is much faster and better than Mesa's old software rasterizer or the Gallium3D Softpipe driver, Compiz nor the GNOME Shell (and most other compositing window managers) yet work with this driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Would've hoped for a screenshot of the current state

Comment

Funny that it dies on the window decorations.... we get the same thing with poulsbo and have the same missing extension. I wonder if the DECORATOR is still requiring the texture from pixmap extension?

Note: poulsbo does compiz with Option "ExaNoComposite" "true".

Comment

It seems to me as if running a compositor on a software renderer is a useless waste of CPU cycles...

Comment

As I pointed out in the last thread there is a patch to add TFP support to llvmpipe/softpipe/etc.:

Comment

Originally posted by thefirstm View Post
            It seems to me as if running a compositor on a software renderer is a useless waste of CPU cycles...
            Unless, you know, you care about functionality. This same logic would also apply to running a graphical environment in general.

Comment

a good educational article. thanks

Comment

Working...
              X