Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Threaded Input Events On The Way For X Server 1.10

Phoronix: Threaded Input Events On The Way For X Server 1.10

While X.Org Servger 1.9 was released less than a week ago (heck, it's only been four days since releasing om time), the first interesting patch for X.Org Server 1.10 is already queued up and on the X.Org development mailing list for discussion. This patch, which was written by Tiago Vignatti and Fernando Carrijo, provides the "thread-ification" of the X Server input event generation code. Rather than being bound to the same thread as the X Server, the input event code with this patch is now running in its own thread, but this may only be the start of things to come with finally multi-threading the X.Org Server...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

does this mean input events might be more responsive under certain circumstances?

Comment

How about a modification to finally allow scancodes > 255 instead of forcing users to remap them to some random key that is < 255, and then remap again within X to something that makes sense again?

Comment

Originally posted by portets43 View Post
        does this mean input events might be more responsive under certain circumstances?
        It depends on how much latency the single threaded approach puts into input events now.

Comment

@RussDill

I agree with you, I am still waiting to get my Logitech wave to have all of its keys working... right now I do not even have my numpad working, let alone lots of the other helpful keys (window switchers) ... grrr

Comment

Originally posted by valsodarg View Post
            @RussDill

I agree with you, I am still waiting to get my Logitech wave to have all of its keys working... right now I do not even have my numpad working, let alone lots of the other helpful keys (window switchers) ... grrr
            Have you tried keytouch?

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
              Seems to map keys from keyboards that have high keycodes to keycodes less than 255 in the kernel. So still, it is passing something less than 255 to X.

If you look in include/linux/input.h, you'll see defined keycodes in the range 0x160-0x211. Things like KEY_BLUE, KEY_CHANNELUP, KEY_NEWS, KEY_DVD, KEY_OK, etc, etc. They have no analogue in xorg keycodes and there is no way to get them into X unless you pick some random keycode under 255 and force it in there.

Comment

Anybody knows what went wrong in the attempt made a decade ago?

Comment

Originally posted by MisterIO View Post
                  Anybody knows what went wrong in the attempt made a decade ago?
                  Not having multithreaded processors?

Comment

Do I see an input latency benchmark coming?

Comment

Working...
                    X