Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 10.10 Has Arrived On 10/10/2010

Phoronix: Ubuntu 10.10 Has Arrived On 10/10/2010

Just as planned, Ubuntu 10.10 has been released today on the 10th of October, 2010. Ubuntu 10.10 has many features and improvements that we have talked about over the past several months from an updated kernel and GNOME desktop to Btrfs installation improvements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm really impressed so far.

Comment

I don't follow U that closely, do they have donations in Software Center yet?

Comment

I think I'll give the Kubuntu-LiveCD a try. It looks like i'll have to deal with Ubuntu at work, so I might be a good idea to brush up my debian-skills a bit again. :>

Comment

Amazing! This is the first time everything went smooth during upgrade. Not only does everything still work, they even made it amazingly responsive (nautilus, scrolling,...) and it boots even faster now! The new font is spectacular too - so easy on the eyes and so clear.

This is the best release ever.

Comment

I installed it on a new harddrive and I was surprised how nice it is...the idea of configuring the system while installing it is cool. Boot: From POST BIOS to full logged in session: 5 seconds (not counting the time for typing the password), with 10.04 ~15 seconds.

oh and the best thing: Heroes of Newerth works with AMD HD5870 graphiccard for me while using the fglrx driver delivered with ubuntu 10.10

Comment

The only trouble I have is the inability to install fglrx. For me it won't even show up in hardware drivers (jokey). Installing it through synaptic results in a broken system.

Comment

101010 = 42

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
                  101010 = 42

How's that for a coincidence?

Comment

With 10.10 we have also dropped support for i586 and lower processors, as well as i686 processors without cmov support.
                    It will be interesting to see what kind of performance improvements can be seen from this move. I'll be downloading and seeding this through the night

Comment

Working...
                    X