Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fluxbox 1.3 Released

Phoronix: Fluxbox 1.3 Released

Fluxbox, the X window manager derived from Blackbox, has reached version 1.3...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I couldn't believe my eyes, when I first read this. After 2 1/2 years a new release (with no version 1.2...)? Upgrading right now.

Comment

Just my luck

Last week I decided to convert my entire setup over to Openbox because Fluxbox hadn't had a release in over 2 years. I never used any of the Fluxbox-only features anyway and the only reason I stuck with it over Openbox was that Fluxbox has sane, human-editable, config files and Openbox uses XML, which should NEVER be used where a human might have to edit it.

So, after a week of staring at rc.xml and menu.xml and getting everything set up the way I want it... Fluxbox releases a new update. Well, at least I won't have to convert everything back, I still have my fluxbox configs.

Comment

Originally posted by signals View Post
        Last week I decided to convert my entire setup over to Openbox because Fluxbox hadn't had a release in over 2 years. I never used any of the Fluxbox-only features anyway and the only reason I stuck with it over Openbox was that Fluxbox has sane, human-editable, config files and Openbox uses XML, which should NEVER be used where a human might have to edit it.

So, after a week of staring at rc.xml and menu.xml and getting everything set up the way I want it... Fluxbox releases a new update. Well, at least I won't have to convert everything back, I still have my fluxbox configs.
        on my netbook, i use lxde (which is openbox based) and not only do i find the config files relatively easy to edit but it has graphical tools for them as well. is there something that you change that doesn't have a graphical tool?

Comment

Well, I'm not much of a graphical tool kind of guy, so I really didn't think to look for anything outside of ObConf. And from what I can tell, there's no way to setup <keybind> from ObConf. Since I don't use a launcher or a root menu, I launch everything from key bindings, and I just think this:

Code:
          Mod4 F6 :execCommand mpc stop
          is a lot easier to deal with than this:

Code:
              <keybind key="W-F6">
                <action name="Execute">
                  <startupnotify>
                    <enabled>false</enabled>
                  </startupnotify>
                  <command>mpc stop</command>
                </action>
              </keybind>
          XML config files have always been a pet peeve of mine. XML is fine for data exchange between code where it will be parsed by a computer, but to expect an end user to create well-formed XML in the configuration files is just a misuse of XML.

Anyway, it really doesn't matter because they both work, and I have finally gotten everything set up under Openbox. Now that I'm using it and no longer configuring it, I like it at least as much as I liked Fluxbox. It was just the initial transition of all of my custom keybindings from .fluxbox/keys to rc.xml that had me swearing for a while.

Comment

hmm i wasn't aware openbox even supported key bindings, i just assumed it didn't since nothing advertises that it does. i use xbindkeys, which is REALLY easy to use, and even supports mouse bindings.

Comment

I actually prefer OpenBox XML over most stuff.

Why?

Because it's well documented. It's the best documented window manager configuration that I have run across yet.

For example the key bindings:

This is how we know if people RTFM. If your using OpenBox and you didn't know that it supports key bindings... your doing it wrong.

Also... if XML is hard to edit because all the extra brackets and whatnot for structuring the configuration. Either get a better text editor or learn how to use the one you have better.

But I am glad that Fluxbox is released. It's was very nice back in the day and hopefully this update will keep it competitive.

Comment

Originally posted by drag View Post
                I actually prefer OpenBox XML over most stuff.

Why?

Because it's well documented. It's the best documented window manager configuration that I have run across yet.

For example the key bindings:

This is how we know if people RTFM. If your using OpenBox and you didn't know that it supports key bindings... your doing it wrong.

Also... if XML is hard to edit because all the extra brackets and whatnot for structuring the configuration. Either get a better text editor or learn how to use the one you have better.

But I am glad that Fluxbox is released. It's was very nice back in the day and hopefully this update will keep it competitive.
                ...so you're saying that everyone who uses a product, doesn't have any questions, and doesn't read the entire manual is using it wrong?
                thats like saying someone bought a sound card and used bios to disable the onboard audio and someone says "if you read the manual, you'd find theres a jumper setting that can also disable it" when the person either had no reason to know that, or doing that would not really be any more beneficial than the alternative they have currently used.
                i wasn't even aware there was an openbox manual - i find it so easy to use that i didn't need one. even though it has the option of keybindings, i'd still use xbindkeys anyway.

Comment

Working...
                X