Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who Did The Most For X.Org Server 1.10? Oracle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Did The Most For X.Org Server 1.10? Oracle?

Phoronix: Who Did The Most For X.Org Server 1.10? Oracle?

Tiago Vignatti has put out some statistics on the contributions to X.Org development during the X.Org Server 1.10 development cycle, to the xorg-server itself as well as the open-source drivers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Microsoft won again.

Defeat linux and OSS community, one company at a time.

Comment

Sad, indeed. I was so happy that Nokia was so seriously into the Linux business...

Comment

Can someone explain me how wayland, with two or three developers, is going to replace X, that is actively developed by a much much bigger developer team.. ?

Comment

@Michael who the heck is "Ttiago" [sic!]?
          You constantly get that guy's name wrong!

Comment

Originally posted by tessio View Post
            Can someone explain me how wayland, with two or three developers, is going to replace X, that is actively developed by a much much bigger developer team.. ?
            What i read is that wayland is much easier to implement cause it doesn't have all the things X has (drawing api, network transparency). However it will offer the same functionality.

However there are still a lot of stuff missing in wayland. (input, session management, things that make window managers functional etc)

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
              What i read is that wayland is much easier to implement cause it doesn't have all the things X has (drawing api, network transparency). However it will offer the same functionality.

However there are still a lot of stuff missing in wayland. (input, session management, things that make window managers functional etc)
              Personally I also wonder why everything should be great with Wayland and nay with X.
              What I suppose is that this is to large degrees a false perception.

On one hand X is blamed for nearly everything, many times incorrectly. E.g. driver quality won't suddenly increase with using Wayland.
              And on the other hand I suppose it is relative (!) easy to get basic functionality right. The so called "corner cases" are what make code more complicated.
              Yet those corner cases often only emerge after bug reports which in turn are mostly created if there is a large user base. If none is using your code only bugs you hit will be discovered.

Yeah, often there are ways to do something in a cleaner fashion, yet rewrites are not to be overrated.

Comment

It's simple, now that Oracle is the single largest contributer, no one will use X. They hate Oracle that much...

Comment

Simple. Once Wayland is actually running, everyone currently developing X is going to switch over to Wayland. Think of it like X12, a new API that everyone will just switch over to start using. Of course, for a few years there will be some overlap and shared work.

Comment

Working...
                  X