Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 11.04 "Natty Narwhal" Beta 1 Published

Phoronix: Ubuntu 11.04 "Natty Narwhal" Beta 1 Published

There's less than one month left to the release of Ubuntu 11.04 "Natty Narwhal" and in preparing for that major release, the first beta release has been published this afternoon...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Running great with Unity and AMD Catalyst on my AMD Fusion-powered Notebook. Best Linux distribution release so far.

Comment

Why do they have to shove Software Center down our throats. I open the applications menu in Unity and half the menu is installed applications and the other half is suggestions from Software Center. Then under the categories drop down it includes all categories whether you have any software under that installed or not. If you don't then it just lists suggestions from SC. It's like if Apple put the App Store in Finder and replaced the Applications folder.

At this point I am finding that I will be removing and modifying too many things from the default install. I'm probably gonna stick with 10.10 and look for a more vanilla distro unless this Unity crap changes for the better in the long run.

Comment

I haven't tried Unity, but I've noticed that any application that's deemed to have good usability has an awful user interface that's hard to impossible to use intermediate or advanced functions in the name simplicity or idiot-proofing. I just hope they leave Unity out of my Kubuntu.(Yes I know that if they did I could always switch back to KWin)

Comment

Is anybody aware of a x86 live CD with Unity 2D? I have a nVidia GPU and without proprietary drivers no Unity and those aren't shipped on the CD.
          I'd like to have a look at Unity, even if it's ?just? Unity 2D.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
            Is anybody aware of a x86 live CD with Unity 2D? I have a nVidia GPU and without proprietary drivers no Unity and those aren't shipped on the CD.
            I'd like to have a look at Unity, even if it's ?just? Unity 2D.
            You can install applications on a live cd, provided you have some free memory. You can even install the binary nvidia drivers (but I wouldn't recommend that) - just enable nouveau 3d and logout/login to see the proper Unity shell.

Comment

Originally posted by Decatf View Post
              Why do they have to shove Software Center down our throats. I open the applications menu in Unity and half the menu is installed applications and the other half is suggestions from Software Center. Then under the categories drop down it includes all categories whether you have any software under that installed or not. If you don't then it just lists suggestions from SC. It's like if Apple put the App Store in Finder and replaced the Applications folder.

At this point I am finding that I will be removing and modifying too many things from the default install. I'm probably gonna stick with 10.10 and look for a more vanilla distro unless this Unity crap changes for the better in the long run.
              they are including ubuntu-classic in 11.04, so you dont need to stay with 10.10

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                You can install applications on a live cd, provided you have some free memory. You can even install the binary nvidia drivers
                I tried installing Unity 2D in some earlier version from live CD ? not entirely sure whether it was an 11.10 alpha version or 10.10 with the Unity 2D repo activated.
                However, the system froze.

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                just enable nouveau 3d and logout/login to see the proper Unity shell.
                According to the info I gathered, it's not compatible with Unity.

Comment

Working...
                X